plug for heatbed gets hot

gamura

plug for heatbed gets hot

Post by gamura » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:46 am

Hi,

since yesterday the heatbed of my A30 stops heating midprint. I just noticed that the power plug for the heatbox gets pretty warm when the heatbeds is doing its job. Is this normal? Or can this be the cause of my heatbed stopping midprint. When I take look at the connector itself, I can see see that pin nr.2 is darker, looks corroded, a little like those shown on the image in https://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopi ... 65&t=61719 . When the heatbed is working, i can measure 11V DC on the both contacts below the headbed.

What should I do? Replace the connector on the box? Replace the connector on the cable? Or should i file the corrosion away? Or is this just normal ans i have to find the cause of my issue somewhere else? :)

Thanks in advance

Gamura

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Re: plug for heatbed gets hot

Post by _kaktus_ » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:01 am

Hello.
:mrgreen:

It's good that you've noticed it.
This fault would get worse.

It is necessary to clean the contacts. Otherwise their conductive properties will deteriorate due to corroded surfaces.

You can try to clean them mechanically by scraping.
Next, to be sure, clear them in preparation for cleaning jewelry made of precious metals.
It is important to gently crimp these female plugs to fit the pins better.

You can also replace the socket and plug with a new one.

The first solution, consider it temporary, until the second one is completed.
;)
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

gamura

Post by gamura » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:35 pm

Hi _kaktus_,

thanks for your helpful suggestions. I was able to file away the corrision, now the pin looks pretty shiny again :D . And this solved the issue for now. No more "the head element stops" error messages. Looks like this reduced the resistance to a level where the plug doesnt get warm anymore. I noticed, that the cable itself still gets a little warm next to the plug. So my next step is to replace the plug. Since only 4 of the 6 pins are wired, I think I will go for a GX16-4 plug with only 4 pins. Mainly because it is much harder finding a 6 pin aviation connector/plug around. The 4 pin thing seems much more common, at least when it comes to shopping in my area :P .

Thanks!

Gamera

PS:
You are such a helpful person when it comes to resolving printer issues. If you are around in northern germany (kiel/hamburg), give me a note. I will be happy to invite you to a nice beer :-).

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:56 am

Hi.
:mrgreen:

Your recognition is very important to me. :)
You have shown gratitude. Few people can afford it.
Gracefulness. :D

I live in the vicinity of Germany, on the map on the right.

Now we will solve the rest of the problem. :lol:

Carefully solder the place where the cable is connected to the pin.
Be careful that tin does not flood the female pins.

This operation will perfectly improve the quality of the contact in this place.
The cable should stop heating up.

To remove the pin from the plastic mount, find the latch and press it.
Example photo. ;)
high_res_764.jpg
high_res_764.jpg (50.61 KiB) Viewed 6085 times
Some types of pins have pawls on one side only.
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.