A10M doing random stuff at the end of a print

Dogomil

A10M doing random stuff at the end of a print

Post by Dogomil » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:16 am

Hi there,

I've run into something very strange... My printer has started to just randomly "print" stuff, whenever it get's close to 95-97% of its print job. The nozzle even goes into the print, destroying it. I just can't figure out, what causes this.
Also it doesn't really end the job, the temperatures stay up and there is no print summary on the lcd. It doesn't home then, the nozzle just parks somewhere in the print.
I'm using Cura (4.40, 4.41 and 4.50 so far, nothing changes)
Have tried different firmwares (Marlin) on the printer, the 1.19 from by aarli and now 2.0 with own settings. No luck so far..

I want to point out, that I'm quite new to 3d-printing, so that doesn't make it easier for me.

Has anyone ever run into a similar problem or has any idea, what might be the problem? I'm losing my mind over this...

Sodium100mg

Re: A10M doing random stuff at the end of a print

Post by Sodium100mg » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:16 pm

That's crazy!

I'd copy the gcode from the SD card back onto the computer and look at the gcode. Don't just look at the gcode file you put on the SD card, but actually read it back. "in theory" if the g-code should look just like it prints and any problem with the SD card should be repeated. You could also try a different SD card. While it shouldn't happen, SD cards are written in sectors and it is possible that a corrupt disk could be pointing to random sectors.

Try the files that came with the printer. Do they also fail?

Dogomil

Post by Dogomil » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:33 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I will try that as soon as it happens again. The print that ran while I was typing this yesterday, came out without problems of course :D
Do you mean load the gcode file into cura and look how the object looks or actually read gcodes? I have not gotten into this until now.
The files that came with the printer are already gone. I had already formatted the sd card, that didn't help. But I might try another one as well.

Sodium100mg

Post by Sodium100mg » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:15 am

I'm glad to hear things are working again. As a new user, it is frustrating when things that should work don't.

Disc drives use sectors to hold the data. It is theoretically possible that the disk was corrupt. If the disc were corrupt, there is a good chance that if you read it back on the PC and open the file stored on it back into the slicer, it should show the corruption.

Formatting the disc could fixed the problem.

I installed octoprint on an old laptop (windows 7) pc, so I could have a log file and a timelaps recording what happens when I'm not watching. If the printer gets an error, i hope to see what happened. Setting up octoprint, especially the timelaps was a bit cryptic, but I now have the ability to send files from my computer (wifi) to the printer across the room without getting up and sneakernet an sd card and I can watch it as it builds (streaming video over wifi) using old cell phone for a camera, a $4.00 app and a camera holder to tripod adapter I printed on the 3d printer and an old tripod. The octoprint laptop sits next to the 3d printer and can be used as a console to extrude filament, warm up the printer or move the bed, without going into the LCD menu. Octoprint can also be used to upgrade firmware (yet another level of cryptic hell). I should also be able to adjust the internet settings of my home router to be able to look in on the 3d printer and watch the video stream and stop a print from anywhere in the world. The basic instructions worked for me to get it going on the PC. I'm planning a writeup for setting up the A10T printer and cell phone as a camera, as soon as I figure out a few more things, like how best to auto start the server after a reboot of the PC, the wide area network settings and there is an improved timelapse plugins.

https://community.octoprint.org/t/setti ... indows/383

Everything the octoprint sends and the printer replies are recorded. It might not solve the problem, but it should at least give a hint as to what is happening, where the SD card, you just don't know what happened.

Dogomil

Post by Dogomil » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:33 am

Yeah, Octoprintis something I already wanted to tackle, but you know... time and motivation :D I'll see with that.

Actually had a "failed" print again, but as it turns out, your tip to load the file back to the pc might give a hint, what went wrong.

The two frames are what I wanted to print. But there seems to be some leftovers from a part of a ship I printed before plus that yellow thing. So maybe the SD card is corrupting the files with old data or something. I'll try a completely new SD card tomorrow.
Thank you so much for your help so far! That might actually already have solves this whole mess. I'll keep you posted.

Sodium100mg

Post by Sodium100mg » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:21 am

Now look at the file that was intended to be on SD. Is it messed up or did the SD card mess it up? This cuts the problem in half. Is it the slicer or is it after.

Each time you put a file on the SD, you can see if it has what you expect before you print. While not a fix, you no longer have to worry what will happen.

> Yeah, Octoprintis something I already wanted to tackle, but you know... time and motivation :D I'll see with that.

I hear you! so many details to handle. I cringed at the thought of a raspberry pi for running the octoprint. I'm planning to post a short how to for windows to help ease the pain. There are too many places that the software needs something, but doesn't say what, that took hours of googling to find a simple answer. Because of the pi history, most searches lead in wrong directions. Thankfully I know enough linux to guess what they wanted.

Of course if the SD card keeps screwing up, you might find motivation to eliminate it.

Dogomil

Post by Dogomil » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:23 pm

So, I printed a few things after switching the SD-Card and there have been no failed prints so far. Might really have been that easy. Again thank you for your help!

Now this thing has another problem, I can't figure out, but I will open another thread for that.