So, what do I use if I do not have Windows ?

emaren

So, what do I use if I do not have Windows ?

Post by emaren » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:42 pm

I am a Mac user.

I do not have, and nor do I want or need, a Windows machine.

One of the selling points of this A10 printer was that it works with Windows/Mac/ Linux.

This is my first foray into the world of 3D printers and thus far I have been goofing around with Slic3r, which seems to be reasonably successful, but I really want to stop doing the SD card dance and I want to print and monitor from my Mac.

Is there a nice simple guide that does not begin with words like 'Install Windows' please ?

Or have I bought the wrong machine and there is no Mac support and I need to send it back and get a refund ?

Thanks

MichaelK

Re: So, what do I use if I do not have Windows ?

Post by MichaelK » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:37 pm

Onto your mac you can use Cura to slice the models: https://ultimaker.com/en/products/ultim ... a-software

Cura Profile to use with the A10 look here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HkZHXK5n4I

emaren

Re: So, what do I use if I do not have Windows ?

Post by emaren » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:43 pm

I thought I would update this after a couple of months.

Short Answer - Cura is awesome and with a large amount of trial and error I have a pretty decent 3d printer.

Much longer answer -

I have no desire to install windows, never have, never will, it is just not my thing.

Issues I hit
- The Wifi module for the printer is epicly bad - I never once managed to get it to print anything from a phone.
- You need to turn off all sleep or hibernation or power-downs else your prints are wrecked
- Not all filament is created equal.
- Bed levelling is simply not possible 'out of the box'

Solutions
- Octoprint running in a raspberry Pi is a brilliant little print server - the live cam view is amazing
- I have added numerous washers to my bed far-right and near-left corners.
- I've gradually created a custom setup for each filament

The one issue I am left with is updating the firmware, but as what I have works now, after a lot of effort, I am not too worried about that.