Installing Marlin 2.0 on M201

Tparent

Installing Marlin 2.0 on M201

Post by Tparent » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:12 am

IMG_20190828_202135.jpg
IMG_20190828_202135.jpg (94.57 KiB) Viewed 39246 times

UPDATE : Pending issues SOLVED
-> SD Card reader on LCD WORKING (replace pins_GTM32xxx file by updated one available on the google drive)
-> Mixer WORKING (but sure to apply u8glib library update as described below)

I wish to really thanks InnerBushman and Vertabreak who thanks to their contribution on Github give me the ability to stick all the element together

At the same time, I'm very disappointed because I blasted some of the M201 components during my attempts and today.. I'm discovering that none are still available at affordable price :cry:

Like you maybe know, Marlin 2.0 is still in development phase (bugfix).

To ease your job, you will find all the required files on the below Google Drive.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

It's far to be an easyjob, but it's not really complex. Don't rush... just follow step by step the instructions.

CAUTION : I'm not responsible in anyway if you "brick" your GTM32 pro for any reason. In the same spirit, I have too limited knowledge of the original firmware and will not be able to give any support to reinstall it (it's normally well explained on this site somewhere)
DO THE UPGRADE AT YOUR OWN RISK

What you will need :
- one "out of the box M201" (no soldering / no mod required) but equiped with the GTM32 pro VB board
- Arduino V1.8.9 (feel free to search and download it on the web)
- Arduino_STM32-MASTER.ZIP
- Marlin 2.0 Bugfix.zip
- Flash Loader demonstrator (STMelectronics). There is a link somewhere in the Firmware update message of this forum

In a telegraphic format :

1. Install Arduino 1.8.9
2. Unzip Marlin 2.0
3. Launch Arduino and in menu Tools / Board / Board Manager... Download / Install " ARduiono SAM Boards (32 bits ARM Cortex-M3)
4. In Marlin 2.0 subdirectory, DELETE the subdirectory Marlin-bugfix-2.0.x\Marlin\src\HAL\HAL_STM32 (only this one)
5. In Arduino subdirectory \arduino-1.8.9\hardware\, unzip the content of Arduino_STM32-MASTER (the full subdirectory content). Not sure that it matter, rename Arduino_STM32-MASTER in Arduino_STM32
6. Relaunch Arduino (exit / start)
7. in menu Tools / Board go to the extreme bottom of the menu, you will discover the new entry created thanks to step 5
8. Select Generic STM32F103V
9. Going back to the Tools menu, select : Variant STM32F103VE
10. Upload serial, Speed 72, Optimise Fast (not sure that it matter). Port doesn't really matter, uploading being performed with the flash loader(pgm)
11.Overwrite the existing config.h and config_adv.h with the one attached (it's a first customisation. There are certainly plenty of improvement which will be shared by you and community)
12 Overwrite the pins_GTM32_PRO_VB.h located in the directory : Marlin-bugfix-2.0.x\Marlin\src\pins\stm32 with the attached one
12a. Delete C:\Users\youruserxxx\Documents\Arduino\libraries\U8glib (if it already exist)
12b.In arduino Menu / Sketch / Include Library / Add Zip Library (select the u8glib.zip after having downloaded it from Google drive)
13. (uups hopping to be lucky). Load in Arduino the Marlin.ino and click the "checkmark" icon or menu Sketch/Verify-Compile

Compilation should give you two white line with "Sketch use...."

And now ?

You successfully completed the most complex side of the process. Stay the FW upload

14. Switch off the printer
15. But the "update flash" jumper shortened (two pin in contact)
16. Switch ON your printer, LCD will only display FULL Block
17. Locate on your HD the temporary directory where arduino saved the .bin.
(you need in explorer option to check "show hidden directory")
Good start C:/Users/your login user/appdata/local/temp) if arduino run (I never say to close it :), there should be a directory like arduino_build_xxxxx (x being a timestamp digit)
18. in this build_xxx, your will find Marlin.ino.bin which is the FW ready to be ulploaded

To upload

19. Lauch Flash Loader
20. Specify the printer COM port (I guess that you have already connected it using USB and therefore installed the expected driver)
21. Next, Next, until screen where you will specify Download to Device, Erase necessary page,@h 8000000, Jump to the user program
22. Press next and wait for the upload to be completed. When finished, your screen will display the Marlin 2.0 logo and be ready to operate (almost... don't forget to remove the 15 jumper.
IMG_20190828_201939.jpg
IMG_20190828_201939.jpg (132.68 KiB) Viewed 39246 times
Enjoy

Thierry
Last edited by Tparent on Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:44 am, edited 5 times in total.
i3 B + i3 C + i3 M201 + A10 + A10m + A30
(+3 x Kossel)
Mostly PLA

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Re: Installing Marlin 2.0 on M201

Post by _kaktus_ » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:03 am

Hi.

:mrgreen:

Bravo.
Congratulations.
:!:
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

jotadark

Post by jotadark » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:07 am

Hello,

Thanks for the detailed manual!

I was able to compile and load the firware on my m201. But I have a problem with the first extruder, it doesn't work. The second one extrude without problems. I tried several trimes and I think I loaded the u8glib.zip library correctly. What could be the problem?

Thanks

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:25 pm

Hi.

Tell me if you were able to maintain the functionality of the mixer in your firmware.
:?:
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.

TheDuke

Post by TheDuke » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Hello!

I am using _vert_'s Marlin fork (viewtopic.php?f=20&p=104078) trying to flash Marlin on a GTM32 Rev B (not pro!) board.

Flashing anything I've been managing to compile seems to flash fine, but doesn't seem to be able to start up the board properly - symptoms: USB Serial comes up (I assume this is due to FTDI chip), LCD stays blank, printer connection using Repetier-Host fails.

I have verified that flashing stock 1.0.05 firmware hex with the Flash Demonstrator works. Flashing Marlin bin using stm32_flash or Flash Demonstrator flashes fine, but then does not bring up board (as above).

Do you have any tips?

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:20 pm

Hi.

I think you should check the memory address where the new code is loaded.
If you are able to do this well, otherwise you need to have a new bootloader.
TheDuke wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:07 pm
USB Serial comes up (I assume this is due to FTDI chip),
I have the same opinion about that. This is a sign that FTDI is functioning properly.
:D

lotta3dprinter

Post by lotta3dprinter » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:14 pm

I got it to complied without errors, WOW. Great work, thanks. I do have a question about the Variant STM32F103VE.
In Marlin it says that it is for the #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_GTM32_PRO_VB, but I have the GTM32 Va(non pro), and the board silkscreen says GTM32 VA, as from the pictures I have seen it has the 4 mosfets with the heatsinks, found on this link https://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18136, for the Rostock 301.
But it is not a Delta style, it is a Prusa I3 design, it is the M201. This was a brand new machine that I got from a person who said they could never get it running, and decided to get a pre-built.
That "Variant should I use?
thanks
and again GREAT work.
Ron

franrrrrrrr

Post by franrrrrrrr » Wed May 06, 2020 11:41 pm

Hi I tried to do the procedure but without success. I think the problem is that my Marlin.bin file is not complete because it only weighs 2 KB as the original one. Someone can upload the finished file so I just have to upload it to the printer. Thanks so much.
Ps. I have the Brick printer

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:19 am

lotta3dprinter wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:14 pm
I got it to complied without errors, WOW. Great work, thanks. I do have a question about the Variant STM32F103VE.
In Marlin it says that it is for the #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_GTM32_PRO_VB, but I have the GTM32 Va(non pro), and the board silkscreen says GTM32 VA, as from the pictures I have seen it has the 4 mosfets with the heatsinks, found on this link https://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18136, for the Rostock 301.
But it is not a Delta style, it is a Prusa I3 design, it is the M201. This was a brand new machine that I got from a person who said they could never get it running, and decided to get a pre-built.
That "Variant should I use?
thanks
and again GREAT work.
Ron
Hi

The controller board you're talking about is an older version. Not all the outputs have to match. Find the schematics in the forum, then you can verify their compatibility.

WrathX

Post by WrathX » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:40 am

I don't even know if anyone reads these forums by the dates of the posts but figured I'd try. So using Tparent's instructions above I was able to get Marlin onto my M201 with the GMT32 Pro VB....YAY! But it seems like there is a bunch of re-wiring that needs to be done in order to actually be able to use it on the M201. Making a few tweaks in the Configuration.h I was able to get the steppers moving properly, homing properly, etc. The extruders on the other hand are something else. I really only want to use one extruder as I've changed the hotend. If plugged into EXT0 the thermistor works fine and so does the heater but the extruder motor doesn't work and the hotend fan doesn't work (almost melted my hotend assembly before I noticed this). If I move the stepper driver and plug to the EXT2 spot, the extruder motor works but the thermistor doesn't work (as if it's not even there, shows -21), the hotend heats up as soon as the printer is turned on (can't turn it off) and the hotend fan still doesn't work. Any chance anyone will read this and have any info on how to fix this? I'd rather not buy a new board if I can make the one I got work.