Fans, 2 wire or 3 wire, Again

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Fans, 2 wire or 3 wire, Again

Post by _kaktus_ » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:20 am

Hi.
:mrgreen:

Because this topic still returns like a boomerang, I am going to explain this matter.

I have to say that I was persuaded to do it by my new colleague (Kat from Louisiana). Of course, he owns the M201. :lol:

We all know that our printers are equipped with fans.
Some of them have 3 outputs, others only 2. Some of them may have adjustable speed regardless of the number of outputs.

1. Where did these differences in the number of wires come from?
  2. What depends on whether the fan can be controlled?

ad1.
That's the point where it's simple.
Manufacturers come up with different functionalities that can be useful, or just are.

So we can find fans equipped with 2, or 3 or 4 wires.
  • Fan with two leads.
    Red wire - leads the supply voltage (+).
    Black wire - provides the ground potential of the electronic circuit (GND).
  • Fan with three leads.
    Yellow wire - this is the output from the fan. On this lead impulses are generated for the systems counting the rotational speed. As a standard, the fan electronics generates two pulses per full rotation.
  • Fan with three leads.
    That's the type we won't find in a printer.

Yellow wire - this is the output from the fan. Functionality as above.
    Blue wire - fan control input. After giving the PWM signal we can control the rotation speed.
ad2. Here we have different possibilities.
We already know that there is a special version of the fan designed for rotational speed control.

Now I will describe the possibilities we have for the other types.

To influence the fan speed, limit the current supply.
  • The simplest way is to connect a resistor to one of the power supply leads. This is not the best and recommended method. It has its drawbacks.
  • A better solution is to introduce the PWM signal to one of the power supply leads. This is the solution used by the manufacturer of our printers for selected fans. If you are interested in the method of action, please refer to wiki.
fan_GTM32Pro-vB.jpg
fan_GTM32Pro-vB.jpg (40.07 KiB) Viewed 26135 times
In this case, if the fan has a yellow cable, it is not used. This lead is floating in the open.

If you want to replace the fan for any reason. Or you will get caught up in the need - you need to know that:

In addition to the very important and basic electrical parameters of each fan, the fan is characterized by several essential features.
Fan performance [m3/h ]
Noise levels [dBA]
Maximum operating speed [rpm]
Type of bearing used - slide / ball bearings

Modern fans can also be equipped with brushless motors. :!:

It is worth to pay attention to these attributes in order to make a more conscious choice.

It may happen that a fan running at a lower maximum speed will be more efficient. This is because it will have better shaped vanes. It will therefore be quieter. :D

In this way, a small compendium of knowledge about fans was created. :idea:
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

FastKat

Re: Fans, 2 wire or 3 wire, Again

Post by FastKat » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:40 am

Hey,

What started my questions was both my IC 3 and the M201 came with 3 wire fans. The M201's fans were broken from factory, probably shipping damage. Trying to replace them, could only find 2 wire on GTs web. Started trying to find out difference and why?

Thanks for taking the time, Kaktus

'Kat

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Re: Fans, 2 wire or 3 wire, Again

Post by _kaktus_ » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:48 am

:mrgreen:
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.