Filament flow rate. Print not sticking

Filament flow rate. Print not sticking

Post by 156801 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:53 pm

I have been setting up a BL Touch and almost finished the set up but come across another problem.

I am having problem with the first layer. I have the z off set adjusted so a can slip a sheet of paper under the nozzle after auto home and G1 Z0 command.

When the 1st layer starts, the filament only partly stick on the bed about 5 % most of the filament seem to stick to the nozzle as if it is too high. If I lower the nozzle any more no filament comes out and the nozzle leaves a mark on the builders tape.

However when I push the filament into the extruder with my fingers it starts sticking and the print looks as if it will work.

I tried to increase the flow rate on the first layer from the knob near the LCD screen but it did not work. If I move the extruder with the manual setting it pushes out a stream of ABS as it should. I have cleaned the hot end so it does not appear blocked.

I am using ABS Bed 100 C Nozzle 225 C Blue painter tape Nozzle .3 layer height .2

Any help would be great.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Re: Filament flow rate. Print not sticking

Post by _kaktus_ » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi.
They say ABS is a difficult material.
From what you wrote I claim that perhaps you should calibrate the extruder.
And practice whether the filament is dosed correctly. ;)
I would check the spring pressure and motor current setting.
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

NickNonsense

Post by NickNonsense » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:38 pm

Technically Z 0.00 should be touching the build plate, if you look at the g-code of a sliced model at the beginning you see that the slicer gives out a command to raise the nozzle to your layer height or first layer height before it starts its print. You may need to add another -0.12 or whatever thickness that piece of paper is to your z offset.

Another thing you could do is use Marlin built-in feature of live Z adjustment, similar to that of the Pursa printers. Youtube should bring up some guides on how to enable it first through the firmware, it takes less than a couple of minutes and can help dial in that first layer visually.

You should be calibrating your e-steps too, this is the extruder, again loads of videos on youtube to guide you. after this, you may need to calibrate your flow rate although if your e-steps are done correctly this shouldn't really be needed but can help dial in that accuracy if dimensionally accurate prints are absolutely critical.

Post by 156801 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:15 am

Hi I tried recalibration but the setting seemed ok. I then turned up the temp to 240 Cel and it worked fine. I was wondering if the filament is been affected by moisture as it has been sitting on the bench for a few months exposed.

Noe on to the next problem.

Robert

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:06 pm

The filament is susceptible to moisture.
This then causes problems in the melting head.
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

Post by 156801 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:56 am

All working now thanks.

Best product I have found to stick ABS to glass is Hair mouse.

Give the can a shake and a small squirt and a spatula to spread on the glass. When cool print pops off.

Tried blue tape, hair spray, paper glue and pei sheet. Way better.

jzero42

Post by jzero42 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:31 pm

I was amazed to see that when I accidentally tried "regular" electrician's tape, it worked well.
For PLA, it works great (with heated bed 60 deg C), I can hardly get PLA off the bed. The only downside is that the print will have a bit of "striped" pattern on the bottom.

For ABS, it did work first time, although the tape also "fused" with the ABS at one instance, and just plain didn't stick the other time, so not really good.

I read a tip and will now try the "ABS juice" method: that is, to dissolve some ABS with a bit of acetone to make a "paste" and then apply this paste to all of the glass. But I think even with that, you will need an enclosure around the printer, to keep the whole area warm enough.