zeljko

Software for Linux

Post by zeljko » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:03 pm

Software:
Operating system: Windows/Mac/Linux
EasyPrint 3D App
Control software: EasyPrint 3D
File format: g.code / .stl

please help my install software to Linux!

William
Site Admin

Re: Software for Linux

Post by William » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:30 pm

For Linux, you have to use the Repetier Host software.
https://www.repetier.com/
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

GiuseppeScollo

Post by GiuseppeScollo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:39 am

William wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:30 pm
For Linux, you have to use the Repetier Host software.
https://www.repetier.com/
Is this really necessary? As a a novice to 3D-printing, I plan to use OpenSCAD for modeling and Cura for slicing and printer control, on a GNU-Linux Ubuntu 16.04 platform. For what else should I need other software? A drawback of the Repetier Host software is that it requires the mono package and other related packages, making a certain version of the .NET framework available, but this gives rise to several problems, see for example this discussion in the Repetier forum: https://forum.repetier.com/discussion/4 ... -on-debian

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:24 pm

Hi
:mrgreen:

I will tell you yes:
Because I've managed this installation, you'll be able to do it all the more.
After all, problems are there to solve them, otherwise life would be boring. :D

Cura Ultimaker is also available for Linux. There are a few more :!:

The Tinkercad can be helpful at the beginning of the modeling process.
It is an easy and free web application.
;)

I greet you warmly.
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

GiuseppeScollo

Post by GiuseppeScollo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:13 pm

_kaktus_ wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:24 pm
Hi

I will tell you yes:
Because I've managed this installation, you'll be able to do it all the more.
After all, problems are there to solve them, otherwise life would be boring. :D

Cura Ultimaker is also available for Linux. There are a few more :!:

The Tinkercad can be helpful at the beginning of the modeling process.
It is an easy and free web application.
;)

I greet you warmly.
Hi kaktus, thanks a lot for your prompt and encouraging reply! :mrgreen:

However, it's not clear to me whether your "yes" means that the installation of Repetier Host is needed anyway,
or else that my Linux installation of OpenSCAD and Cura is enough. I agree with you that life without problems
would be boring and, as a matter of fact, I even managed to install Sketchup Make 2017 under Linux, which
was a daunting effort. Precisely to this purpose I met all sort of problems with the wine and mono packages
available from the Ubuntu 16.04 distribution. I solved those probems by replacing all those packages with
their up-to-date versions from WineHQ. I wonder wheter this would be ok for the Repetier Host software :?:
Certainly I should not like to replace them back with those from the distribution.

There's another potential problem about using the Linux Cura AppImage to drive the A30, reported in this
discussion on Geeetech A30 and Cura: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=61239
The problem reported there appears to be solvable, but I don't know as yet which older version of Cura
does the job... :?

Warm cheers.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 am

Hey hey.

You have to co-exist with some slicer program.

If you don't want to use Repetier Host, you can, of course, install your favorite one. ;)
As such, it is not necessary to select this programme.
In my case each one of them I used to install from the repository.
I use the Debian testing distribution.

Repetier-Host V2.0.5
Ultimaker Cura 3.3.1

I also installed Pronterface for curiosity. To look at it.

There was another program, but I don't remember its name now.
:lol:
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.

GiuseppeScollo

Post by GiuseppeScollo » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:15 am

Ah, thanks, now I'm starting to get the whole picture :D

If I got it right, both Repetier Host and Cura include slicer software and drive the printer while enabling the user to monitor the printing process.
Another reason why I prefer the Cura host is that I plan to use it for printing both on my forthcoming Geeetech A30 machine and on a Ultimaker 3
which is being purchased by an educational project I'm participating to, of course I should not like to switch back and forth from a host software
to another one. :roll:

I agree with you that it's better to install from the repository. The good news about this is that Cura finally made its way to (the latest LTS
release of) Ubuntu, that's 18.04: https://thopiekar.eu/cura/ppa/ —I just need to upgrade my Ubuntu installation 8-)

It turns out that Cura versions newer than 3.2 are released again in the stable PPA, however, the post reporting the problem I mentioned in
my previous post, that is viewtopic.php?f=65&t=61239 , was posted on June 1st, so the Cura version giving rise to the problem wasn't newer
than 3.3.1 (version 3.4 release date is June 26), therefore the solution to that problem would come from a 3.2 or older version, right?
Now, if I got it right, you installed Cura 3.3.1 from the Debian testing distribution, did you ever had the problem of Cura not seeing your printer?
I assume it's a Geeetech one, of course ;)

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Hello.

Yes, I only have one printer.As I wrote in my signature. ;)

Until now I haven't printed from Slicer Cura yet.
This program is very powerful and has a wide configuration. I get to know him. :o
I very much like its extensive configurability of printer behavior during operation.
This shows me how much I still have to learn. :D

Once I have a thorough knowledge of my machine and can predict its behaviour during printing on the model development phase, the next step is to familiarize yourself with Repetier-Host and Cura. Also in depth. ;)
May only my life have been sufficient. :lol:

I must admit that in relation to Windows I expect greater stability of the work of the program and the whole. My plan is to do this.
Of course, at the moment, this is my own unreasonable belief.

And that doesn't mean that under Windows there are some big problems with printing :!:
Everything works no worse than usual in Windows. :lol:

I greet you very warmly. :mrgreen:

ps
Repetier-Host for a beginner, is the right thing for you.
Provides a soft start.

GiuseppeScollo

Post by GiuseppeScollo » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:00 pm

Hi :mrgreen:

indeed, there's an awful lot to learn from the Settings pages of the Cura 3 manual, I like that! :lol:
For the time being, while waiting for delivery of the A30, I'll keep on studying that stuff and
getting more familiar with the subtle underpinnings of 3D printing. This may look like a hard start,
that doesn't mean it can't lead to a soft end. Just an example of this, which you will surely like,
is an old movie I happened to watch on TV a couple of days ago: Cactus Flower ;)

When the machine will be here, if my attempts to get something out of it using Cura will badly fail,
then I'll take your suggestion to try with Repetier-Host, thank you again.

My warmest greetings :mrgreen:

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:11 pm

HI

:D
:lol:

I wish you a lot of patience and perseverance in achieving your goals. ;)

I don't watch television - it's a time thief. However, I am going to try to find a review of this film.