Something you need to know before using 3D Touch

BlastF

Re: Something you need to know before using 3D Touch

Post by BlastF » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:55 am

NiklasO wrote:Home is about those coordinates when you have "safe homing" enabled in firmware. Move to X0 Y0 by sending G1 X0 Y0 after homing. It should move to front left (but home first or it won't move).
The distance should change if you change the Z offset. If you change it to something extremely high (in the + range), it does nothing?
Don't forget to do M502 followed by M500 after uploading firmware. The Z offset stores in EEPROM if you have that enabled and that will be used FIRST. If you change the offset in Configuration.h and upload it without restoring EEPROM to defaults with M502 - M500 it will use the first offset set from the first Configuration.h uploaded and used on the board first time using the printer.

M502 will load the settings stated in Configuration.h, M500 will save them to EEPROM. You can control the Z offset by using M851 Z-1.5 followed by M500 to save. You don't need to upload firmware to change that. While testing, you could also turn off EEPROM to make the printer use the settings from your Configuration.h every time. You can also set the offset using the LCD menu. Control -> Motion -> Z Offset and then Control -> "Store memory" after change.
Hi NiklasO, i tried changing the z offset many times with different values, negative and positive, but the height didn't change. I had to disable the eeprom because when homing all the axis together strangely sent the extruder out the bed straining the steppers. In the end whatever we tried the extruder (hotend) was always about 1,4mm over the bed (too much).
Have you any suggestions to help me? i'm out of options

daveapplemotors

Post by daveapplemotors » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:28 am

#ifdef CUSTOM_M_CODES
#ifdef ENABLE_AUTO_BED_LEVELING
#define CUSTOM_M_CODE_SET_Z_PROBE_OFFSET 851
#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_RANGE_MIN -10
#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_RANGE_MAX 5
#endif

I think these lines in configuration allowed the probe to move enough to do the job for me. Try them.

NiklasO

Post by NiklasO » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:40 am

Yes, you'll need to make sure that the firmware allows the printer to move to negative Z.
Set min_software_endstops to false and try again.

In newer firmware version (RCBugFix) the lines for allowed offsets are:

Code: Select all

//
// For M851 give a range for adjusting the Z probe offset
//
#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_RANGE_MIN -15
#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_RANGE_MAX 15

BlastF

Post by BlastF » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:18 pm

NiklasO wrote:Yes, you'll need to make sure that the firmware allows the printer to move to negative Z.
Set min_software_endstops to false and try again.

In newer firmware version (RCBugFix) the lines for allowed offsets are:

//
// For M851 give a range for adjusting the Z probe offset
//
#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_RANGE_MIN -15
#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_RANGE_MAX 15
I'll tried changing them, i had Min -15 max -5. Used both M851 Z-0.22 and M851 Z0.22 to set the height but again nothing, only the lcd show Z 0,22 or Z -0,19.

Akroon

Post by Akroon » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:50 am

William wrote: Some guys said they failed to modify the parameter,it does exist.
At this moment,you should comment(disable) the EEPROM function in the firmware:

#define EEPROM_SETTINGS
2.jpg
After that,the modifying would work i guess.
When you disable the EEPROM seetings which I had to do, what happens with the steps per mm-setting that I previously changed in Eeprom configuration from Repetier Host?
If it's been reset, can I change that setting somewhere else?

bang

Post by bang » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:43 am

You can try what @NiklasO mentioned in this post.

Saikerone

Post by Saikerone » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:19 am

Hello after many hours of trying and compiling I Am ready to give up to get my 3dtouch to work. I have checked connections and they are good. On boot the sensor push the pin out, retracts, push out, retracts. On both retractions it give a red blink in the light after sequence no light is on. Then I want to test sensor. When I send the gcode commands nothing happens. When I try to home it slams into the bed. I used the firmware posted in the forum with arduino ide am I missing something or what??

daveapplemotors

Post by daveapplemotors » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:11 am

Do you need a few lines of G code?

On start of a print I add custom G code for my Geeetech i3:

M280 P0 S160 ; to turn the alarm off if LED bliinks
G28 X0 Y0 ; it likes to start from here--0,0 like before
G28 Z0 ;it likes to start from here--O,O,O like before
M280 P0 S10 ;extend the pin and turn LED off
G1 Z6 ;raise nozzle so probe clears traversing to bed center
G28 ;this starts bed center homing to check height --ABORT IF the LED is LIT!! Otherwise it crashes into the bed.
G29 ;touch 4 or 9 parts of the bed

There are a few more lines that deal with temps and LCD screen and they are probably already in your G code startup file.

Saikerone

Post by Saikerone » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:53 pm

It did not reacted on gcode. So I took out all the connectors and soldered everything and then it worked! Ow I also took out the screw on top and taped it with teflontape against vibration when I put everything back to gather the sensor worked. Will try bedleveling today

Suggy

Post by Suggy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:35 pm

Had same here, grub screw are a slack fit. Mine keep creeping down stopping the pin from moving.
All that read this thread 1st thing to do before fiting the touch is to put Teflon type (plumbers tape) around the grub screw and put it back and the set it up