i3X LCD stays black

Lamont

i3X LCD stays black

Post by Lamont » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:49 am

Hi,so i have got a few succesfull prints with my i3x but after last print it gave me a min error message after it was done. Today when i turned it on it said same min temp error again and the extuder temperature was 0c, so theres my problem, looked it and the thermistor had come out of its hole and was like hanging on the side of extruder so i tried to push it back to the hole, but when i did the lcd just went dark and nothing else, then i shutted it down and turned it back on and the lcd was just full of those black squares, waited awhile but nothing happened so i turned it off and now when i turn it on fans starts but the lcd just stays black.

I think it very well might be shortcut from the thermistor touch to extruder, but that should have happened earlier already and not when i tried to push it back in, but nonetheless there was the evill smell of electric after that so how can i know whether my lcd or mainboard is broken?

William
Site Admin

Re: i3X LCD stays black

Post by William » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:59 pm

"Fan starts when turn it on"
--Sounds like the board is OK,you can try controlling the printer via Repetier Host to see if it works(move motors,heating the extruder and heatbed).
And check if the board can be upload the firmware.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

Lamont

Post by Lamont » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:58 am

Thank you for your reply, repetier host cant establish connection eventhough it says connected when i click the connect button and arduino didnt send anything to the board. So in the manual control tab it just says disconnected. Tried replacing the extruder thermistor with the same kind of thermistor that i used to replace the hot bed thermistor successfully, but i didnt find any information about what kind of thermistor i should use in extruder, would be logical if it uses same thermistors on both but dont know for sure. In the end it didnt make any difference, lcd is still black.

When i turn the power on fans start and two small green leds lights up, then i connect the usb and hear to usb connection sound but theres no orange led in the board nor any green leds blinking (like they did a day ago when everything worked) and top of that windows says that usb device is not recognized and is in the safe mode.

Tried also unplugging the lcd cables from the board but nothing changed. Tried resetting from the lcd reset button and from the board button (eventhough i dont really know if the small orange button is the reset button) but those didnt do anything.

So the next step is to unplug every wire from the board and try to connect it like that, but is there a way to test the empty board functionality through usb? Like can i test somehow if the extruder thermistor port is okay or is it like all or nothing that if one doesnt work any wont work?

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:10 pm

Here is a post to make some tests on the board with PSU:
http://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic ... 18&t=18061

Lamont

Post by Lamont » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:51 am

Thank you again, will try to measure those later. I tested the board with no cables attached and the results were the same, when i connect only the usb cable, i can hear the usb device connection sound and after that windows says that usb device is not recognized and is in safe/fail mode (dont really know what the right translation) and no lights come up on the board. When i connect the power cable with power off nothing changes, but when the power is on the two little green leds light up next to the power cable but thats it, so there is still little hope that i could reset it somehow but that little reset button wont do anything unless theres somekind of knock code to it.

Other thing i would like to know is that if the board is useless, what other parts are too. Most likely conclusion is that the extruder thermistor shortcutted the board when i tried to push it back in. But how about the lcd? Is there a way to test that? Or the little A4988 stepper drivers? Safest way would be order them all but would not want to buy them if they are not fried, then again would not want to order a new board and then find out that its still not working and wait another 3 weeks for new lcd and stepper drivers...

Lamont

Post by Lamont » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:16 am

Well got to test the board with multimeter and the results were okay i guess. Didnt really got any readings from those thermistor ports or stepper motor ports, but got about 0.036 something from all the a4988 stepper drivers so i took that as a signal that they are okay, also when touched the "heating solder points" with the black stick all the red leds lighted up too so i think they are okay too but it still doesnt work so ordered a new one already and i took my change with the lcd and hope that its okay too.

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:59 pm

You mean you ordered a new board?

Lamont

Post by Lamont » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:13 pm

Yes, thats right and now all i can do is wait for it to arrive and hope that its a good one

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:48 am

OK,waiting your updates...

Lamont

Post by Lamont » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:32 am

Well got the new board along with new hot end and thermistor, plugged them in with no problems, wired everything with ease, turned power on and lcd works :) but thats all the good news. Its like deja vu from the first time i turned this on about 3 months ago, but back then i knew it was faulty hot bed thermistor but now thats not the case, there it stands, ERR: MINTEMP. Checked both thermistors with multimeter and both gave about 107 ohms so they are fine, checked the wiring, everything is as should be.

I think its all about getting the firmware in and that should not be this hard. When i turn it on and plug the usb in, it stays silent, i can try to upload with arduino101 like i did "successfully" about 3 months ago, but that will just lead to missing usb device or similar error messages. When i click connect in repetier host it starts to upload instantly and it just keeps looping the same line over and over again:

start
echo: External Reset
Marlin 1.0.3 dev
echo: Last Updated: Dec 5 2016 13:39:39 | Author: (Hogan, Delta)
Compiled: Dec 5 2016
echo: Free Memory: 3419 PlannerBufferBytes: 1232
echo:Hardcoded Default Settings Loaded
echo:Steps per unit:
echo: M92 X80.00 Y80.00 Z80.00 E93.00
echo:Maximum feedrates (mm/s):
echo: M203 X400.00 Y400.00 Z400.00 E45.00
echo:Maximum Acceleration (mm/s2):
echo: M201 X5000 Y5000 Z5000 E5000
echo:Accelerations: P=printing, R=retract and T=travel
echo: M204 P1000.00 R2000.00 T2000.00
echo:Advanced variables: S=Min feedrate (mm/s), T=Min travel feedrate (mm/s), B=minimum segment time (ms), X=maximum XY jerk (mm/s), Z=maximum Z jerk (mm/s), E=maximum E jerk (mm/s)
echo: M205 S0.00 T0.00 B20000 X20.00 Z20.00 E5.00
echo:Home offset (mm):
echo: M206 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
echo:Endstop adjustment (mm):
echo: M666 X0.00 Y0.00 Z0.00
echo:Delta settings: L=delta_diagonal_rod, R=delta_radius, S=delta_segments_per_second
echo: M665 L196.00 R92.00 S200.00
echo:Material heatup parameters:
echo: M145 M0 H190 B55 F255
echo: M145 M1 H230 B70 F255
echo:PID settings:
echo: M301 P22.20 I1.08 D114.00 C1.00
echo:Filament settings: Disabled
echo:Z-Probe Offset (mm):
echo: M851 Z-2.00
Error:MINTEMP triggered, system stopped! Heater_ID: 1
Firmware was halted, trying to reconnect. Eventually running print is stopped.
Error:Printer halted. kill() called!
start
echo: External Reset
Marlin 1.0.3 dev

Tried to mess with the repetier server settings so it would not start the upload but that was a dead end, so lcd works and stepper drivers should work also, but cant test them because that mintemp is so dominant. So a new printer or is there something i should try still?