Extruder not working

Mike_A

Extruder not working

Post by Mike_A » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:37 pm

Hi All,
I am new to the forum,I have just assembled my Geeetech Prusa 13 pro B and it is all running well (despite the really vague instructions :)
It took me a while to get the Z Axis aligned but everything seems to be traveling smoothly, I have got full movement in all 3 axis and the print head returns to the home position perfectly.
But....
The extruder doesn't seem to work.
It is showing the correct temperature, I can feel the stepper motor is working..but only a tiny bit of filament is feeding through.
I measured the thickness at O.35mm, which sounds about right, but it is not feeding enough filament through.
Any advice would be very welcome !
Cheers,
Mike.

Newopint95

Re: Extruder not working

Post by Newopint95 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:51 am

Have you checked to see if the extruder is pushing the correct ammount of filament into the hot end? When you command it to send 50mm does it send 50mm or 40mm? I found I hand to change the steps of the extruder to get the correct ammount. Here is a good video i found on the forum. viewtopic.php?f=26&t=19135&hilit=Extruder+calibration

Mike_A

Post by Mike_A » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:41 am

Hi,
When I separate the extruder from the heater section it works perfectly, I marked out 100mm of filament and it moved 100mm of filament. When I reversed it -100mm, it went back to the exact mark again. I have tried raising the temperature as high as it will go (270) before the overhead warning comes on.
It still only extrudes a tiny amount of melted filament. How fast should it work ?
Cheers,
Mike.

Newopint95

Post by Newopint95 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:49 pm

Mike,
It sounds like your nozzel might be clogged. When you have it heated to 200c or higher you should be able to push the filament throuh it little resistance. The only way i have been able to clear the nozzle is with the correctly sized drill bit. I bought a set of them on Amazon for $8usd.

It is also possible that the nozzle is bad from the factory, it does happen from time to time that they are not driled out correctly. When I bought the cleaner bits I also ordered some replacement nozzles. I went with .04mm because they are more forgiving for beginners and make calibraing a bit faster. After I get the hang of my printer I will switch back to the .03mm and dial it in.

I have only been 3d printing for a month now and still have a long way to go. I'll be glad to help how ever i can!
Stick with it! From everthing I have been reading these kind of problems happen no matter what brand you buy at this price point. I would have loved to get the new Prusa I3 Mk2 but $700 was a bit too steep for a hobby I knew nothing about. Maybe in a year after I have the Pro B mastered and can pass it on to my kids! :)

Mike_A

Post by Mike_A » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:04 am

Hi, Thanks for that.
I have ordered the aluminum extruder and a new heater / nozzle assembly. I have also ordered a nozzle cleaning kit, so I think I have all my bases covered :)
Cheers,
Mike.

Dickinsond

Post by Dickinsond » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:52 pm

I am seeing that there are many people who are facing issues with Geeetech 3D printers. I think the company should seriously look into this matter as assignment writing australia also mentioned that the users of this company printers are facing many issues regarding the use.