Geeetech i3 Pro B and Windows 10 3D Builder

JBob

Geeetech i3 Pro B and Windows 10 3D Builder

Post by JBob » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:28 pm

Hi

I'm a teacher who is just beginning to experiment with 3D printing. I wanted to show my students 3D printing but the only software available is 3D builder as it is part of our standard Windows 10 image (we are not allowed to install extra programs).

I have been trying to setup my Home Win 10 to work with 3D builder but cannot get Windows to recognise it as a 3D printer. it works fine with other software (Geetech Easy Print, Repetier/Slic3r, etc) but Windows seems to want it own driver to use 3D Builder. I've installed the FDTI drivers and tried installing Windows own 3D print drivers (tried both Compatible 3D printer and Prusa i3 Mk2) but neither work?

Has anyone got Windows 10 Home 3D builder to work with the Geeetech i3 Pro B and if so... can I ask how you did it?

Thanks

JBob

JBob

Re: Geeetech i3 Pro B and Windows 10 3D Builder

Post by JBob » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:10 pm

So I've been trying to figure this out again today. I believe I'm getting close but it seems my knowledge isn't enough to get me over the line.

I've been working from the instructions on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... stallation
Unfortunately the files there are not complete. The MS3DPrintUSB.inf is missing. You can find it from here though... : http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com ... MP_3DPRINT

With all of the files in place (check the ms3dprintusb.inf file is the correct architecture btw. There is X86 and X64 in that search above) I tried to run the pnputil -a commands as administrator with driver signing disabled. It all seemed to work but the printer still doesn't install or show in Device Manager.

I then edited the MS3DPrintUSB.inf to contain the VID/PID. I took these from the FTDI serial port but I'm not sure that this is correct. Can't find out the VIP/PID for the printer without a driver so if it has to be the Geeetech i3 VID/PID then I believe I'm stuck (unless anyone here knows a way to find out the printer VID/PID).

I tried the manual install as well but as I'm using Win 10 Home Edition I fall at the first hurdle. Win 10 home doesn't have printmanagement.msc.

Does anyone out there have any ideas?

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:58 am

I am sorry to tell you windows 10 has a problem with printer compatibility as I know.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

Rich D

Post by Rich D » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:46 am

Hi! I had the same problem, here was my fix: download the Virtual COM driver here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm You can find the .exe file in the box on the right. Run the executable file.

Once you do that, in your devices list in the "other" section (where the printer should show up) set your port to COM3... then set the matching port in the EasyPrint software under "printer" in the upper menu.. You should be able to select "connect" without problems after. Let me know if that works!

JBob

Post by JBob » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:15 am

Thanks William and Rich

William, its a shame that Win 10 drivers for Geeetech (and it seems any reprap printers) haven't been successfully written yet. Can't understand why Microsoft would ignore such a big share of the 3D printer market. Ah well, its their loss. With brilliant tools such as Repeteir and Slic3r and Geeetech's own EasyPrint its not really an issue for most of us.

Thank you Rich. I really appreciate your input. It's great when people share info. I have got the printer working under Windows 10. In this post I'm specifically interested in getting Win 10 drivers for Microsoft 3D Builder. Seems Microsoft have decided to go their own way with this printer software - requiring a new windows 10 printer driver and using a new file format. Are you able to use 3D builder with your Geeetech? I'm just curious because I had installed the FTDI drivers but it shows up as a Com port in device manager. I don't see a 3D printer nor can I use 3D Builder.

Thanks again guys.

Oh, and William... I presume you work for Geeetech. Can I just say how much I enjoy this Geeetech Pro B printer. Its the most fun I've had in ages. I didn't think it could get any better... but I just got the 3D Touch installed and working - and its even more brilliant! The forums here are a great source of info for Newbies like me. Keep up the good work!

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:47 pm

Thanks for your appreciating our production, your appreciate is our greatest motivation to manufacture more better printers suit your need in the future.
Now I am very interesting with your ways of printer working under window 10,the idea would help other people who meet the same problems .
Thanks sincerely.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!