Geeetech A10 Extruder Motor skipping, how to adjust current?

bossmode

Geeetech A10 Extruder Motor skipping, how to adjust current?

Post by bossmode » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:30 pm

Hi there,

I just purchased a Geeetech A10 a few days ago, using PETG 1.75mm filament.

I am getting it dialed in fairly well, but do notice that my extruder teeth keep skipping in certain parts of the print.

I tried:

-adjusting the tension spring
-slowing down my print to 80%
-heating up the nozzle an extra 10 degree Celsius for filament to flow easier
-adjusting flow

None of these settings made a noticeable difference, the gears still skip in certain parts of the print... it is frustrating. I am using a .6 nozzle.

It is not over/ under extruding, flow seems good until it skips in certain parts, nozzle and printer are basically brand new.

So I am wondering how can I up the current flow to the stepper motor of the extruder to give it more torque?

Jarda3d

Re: Geeetech A10 Extruder Motor skipping, how to adjust current?

Post by Jarda3d » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:33 am

extruder case is too tight, loose it a bit
A10M Slic3r profile: here and fresh on github (lot of tips here)
A10 Slic3r profile: here
TIP: tight all screws and wheels (except right side of Z axis) and re-align frame while assembly. And silence it.

Federico

Post by Federico » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:44 am

Same problem here. Also frustrated and making a lot of tests with bad results.
Would be good to get some advice and to know how to meassure stepper engine current.

@jarda3d what do you mean with "extruder case" ? My extruder has no case... I don´t know any extruder with case... please, clarify.

Jarda3d

Post by Jarda3d » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:11 am

Sorry, my mistake, A10 <> A10M...

You really need to apply bigger current to extruder stepper motor, but...

A10 stepper is easy to overheat if you print with ABS. Measuring of temperature is easy: If you put your hand to extruder and you have no problem to hold it more than 10 seconds, then it is cold. If you cannot hold hand of someone else on the extruder, then it is hot.

For adjusting current, search here for A10 howto, it is easy to do it with little screw and voltmeter with about 2V range.
A10M Slic3r profile: here and fresh on github (lot of tips here)
A10 Slic3r profile: here
TIP: tight all screws and wheels (except right side of Z axis) and re-align frame while assembly. And silence it.

bossmode

Post by bossmode » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:24 am

Thanks for the replies.

Metal feeder assembly? Like an aluminium one?

I have been playing more with temperatures, feed rates, speed, fan speeds... Sometimes it works better, tho it still will skip in most prints at one point.

How do I up the voltage to the feeder? I took the power housing apart but can not located a POT to up the current on this motherboard... I checked overall voltage to the board and it read 24.2V, its a 24V board.

My feeder motor is barely luke warm after a 12 Hour print... I need more torque on this thing. How to please?

bossmode

Post by bossmode » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:04 pm

I would like to see how high the voltage is right now as it is barely luke warm after hours of running. If the voltage is not very high ( which is to assume straight from the factory to be on the save side) I would like to bump it up to 1, or 1.2V and try it out.

Now how do I adjust the E driver on this factory A10 printer? As I mentioned before, I did take the power supply apart right down to the motherboard, and did not see any adjustable pots on this specific model.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated as I am not finding any information on how to adjust the extruder voltage on the A10, all the information I have found on how to adjust voltage have pots, to either increase/decrease the voltage with a screwdriver.

bossmode

Post by bossmode » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:03 am

That be awesome thanks so much. Eagerly waiting on it :)

bossmode

Post by bossmode » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:22 am

Thank you very much for taking your time and making the video.

I still don't have any pots that are adjustable...

https://ibb.co/vvjhF2F

bossmode

Post by bossmode » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:46 am

I am an idiot, I found the pots lol. Had the wrong housing open all this time... duh newbie.

bossmode

Post by bossmode » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:00 am

Haha yes!

So I see 4 adjustable pots (each driver?) how do I know which ones is for the extruder motor? I have not had any issues yet with the other stepper motors, so I don't know if I should temper with them.