Enclosure I built for I3 Aluminum printer

JohnDeere630

Enclosure I built for I3 Aluminum printer

Post by JohnDeere630 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:00 pm

I'm not sure if the picture transferred properly, but this is the enclosure I made for my Prusa I3 aluminum. It has a 200 watt heater that raises the internal temp to 120 degrees F at the bed-level (where the probe is mounted), it has a dimmable LED light bar, filament detector, and a small drawer underneath for parts and tools. The GT2560 board and power supply are at the rear underneath, and cooled by 2, 120 mm quiet fans. I call it the infinity case, becaues it seems that's how long I spent tweaking it. The aluminum parts were milled on my CNC mill, ditto for the lexan spool holder on top. The entire plexiglass top is held by 4 clamps, and can be lifted off in under a minute, only unhooking one connector. Note the full graphic display. It's running the latest Marlin (1.1.8) firmware.

[attachment=0]InfinityCase1.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
InfinityCase1.jpg
InfinityCase1.jpg (157.78 KiB) Viewed 8561 times

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Re: Enclosure I built for I3 Aluminum printer

Post by _kaktus_ » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:27 am

Beautiful view.

Show how the electronics are cooled. You should provide it with cool air from outside!

JohnDeere630

Post by JohnDeere630 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:21 am

If you look at the back, on the bottom, you will see a 120mm fan grill. There is one on the other side also, that blows a continuous stream of outside air across the controller board, then picks up the exhaust from the power supply, then the warm air is blown out of the side you can see.

Alienmoon

Post by Alienmoon » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:44 pm

That's an awesome encloser you've built there, love how you've designed the diamond print steel, I had to chuckle to myself when I came across

[quote]I call it the infinity case because it seems that's how long I spent tweaking it.[/quote]

made me think of the projects I've spent weeks on myself and could never think of a name.

Nice touch with the added fan and the draw, as for the Aluminium frame, Is there anyplace I can buy just the frame?

I've just ordered https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1 and I'm new to the world of 3D Printing and have heard some tails about these acrylic frames, so I thought I'd better come make an account on here and start trying to find where I can buy a Frame Mod.

Thanks for the photo, it's given me a few idea's of my own.

Regards