X-homing to wrong side

ecorguas

X-homing to wrong side

Post by ecorguas » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:00 pm

Hello,
I purchased my Geetech I3 M201 printer some time ago, but I couldn't assemble it until now.
I finished the printer assembly, but I had to do some modifications to correct some deffects on design (or manufacturing) I guess.
After powering on everithing seemed to work OK, except when homing the X carriage. It moves opposite to the endstop, this is to the right seen from printer front, when supposed to move to left.
I managed to change the direction of displacement when using the manual control through the Repetier-Host printer settings or the LCD, but I couldn't find how to change the X direction when homing.
I've been trying to find how to do it reading a lot of messages on the forum with no success. Maybe the information is there and I've missed it. :?
But I concluded that there may be a problem of wiring because some other people around here had a similar problem with the Y and Z axis,
but eventually there was no answer to their questions. Or maybe I didn't understand the solution proposed.

Anyway, so far it seems to me that the two ways to solve the issue is to modify the X-motor wiring, or to change the X-direction through the firmware.
I could do the first option as it would be easier for me, but I'd like to do it by the second way, that seems feasible if I knew how to do it.

So, I would be grateful if somebody could help to give me an orientation on how to start modifying the firmware.

My board version is GTM32 Pro VB and firmware V 1.0.4. (that I could find in .bin format as the .hex format couldn't be loaded).

Thanks in advance.

William
Site Admin

Re: X-homing to wrong side

Post by William » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:19 pm

Hi,If you want to change the direction of the motor, you can refer to this.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

ecorguas

Post by ecorguas » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:11 am

Hi, thank you for your quick anwer.

I had already seen that thread and modified the X direction value to false for the movement, but it didn't change the homing direction.
Now, first I have modified X home to Max and X direction value to true --> Stored --> turned the pinter ON and OFF.
But the X and Y carriages didn't move or only a bit. Tried with EasyPrint and Repitier.
Then, I modified again through the LCD panel: Home X/Y/Z --> True; Motor dir X/Y/Z --> Min. and now It seems to move correctly!!
I don't know why, because now the printer settings are suposed to be the same as initially. OK, it must be my fault.

Anyway, there is another problem remaining that I have to solve: the X carriage moves forward (+) sometimes smoothly and time to time, from approximately the mid of the table, gets as blocked and vibrates. Then slides.
I guess it is a mechanical problem. I'll check the rods paralelism and strightness and maybe put some oil on them.

Cheers

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:14 am

Hi, ecorguas, Thank you for your feedback, you can check
  1. if the rod is bent;

2. The tightness of the belt and appropriate adjustment;

3. Whether the bearing and the pulley are issued (can be lubricated for lubrication);

4. Driver board voltage (0.8-1.2V).
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:34 pm

Helloo ecorguas.

:mrgreen:

I can see that you are very good at solving problems on your own.
Thanks to these minor defects you will get to know this printer very well and nothing will surprise you in the future.

I'm of the same opinion as you: someone in the production phase is making jokes to the detriment of GT. :idea:
The result is as you can see. There are faults that shouldn't happen. :!: :!: :!:

Meanwhile, quality control has fallen asleep in the winter as teddy bears. :lol:

I'll help you solve your last problem.

When the head cart or heated bed moves strangely slower than usual, or the target distance reached is much shorter than usual, the perpetrator of the defect may be the invalid contacts in the stepstick module slot. :roll:

Then you can try to remove the stepstick module and insert it back into the slot.
Alternatively, try pressing it with your finger without removing it. :D
Also press the cable connectors in the sockets.
ecorguas wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:11 am

I had already seen that thread and modified the X direction value to false for the movement, but it didn't change the homing direction.
Now, first I have modified X home to Max and X direction value to true --> Stored --> turned the pinter ON and OFF.
But the X and Y carriages didn't move or only a bit. Tried with EasyPrint and Repitier.
Then, I modified again through the LCD panel: Home X/Y/Z --> True; Motor dir X/Y/Z --> Min. and now It seems to move correctly!!
I don't know why, because now the printer settings are suposed to be the same as initially. OK, it must be my fault.

In my opinion, such a situation may have caused an incorrect value in the memory cell. Writing it again fixed the problem.

I would like to clarify one more point which has been raised in this regard.

Firmware for M201 is a GT branded closed source software. And it is not possible to modify it, because it has not yet been made available. There were such plans in the past but they have not been realized to this day.

But the printer has created very large configuration options, which you have already seen.
So the modification of all settings can be done from the control panel.
As you wrote in the next step you should save them to memory by calling up the options: Store Memory, from the Control menu.

In strange and unexplained situations, you can also use the option: Restore Defaults from the same menu.
But remember to restore your settings in the next step.

Have you already read the topic: kaktus' guide - Menu-tree M201, FW v1.0.03.

By the way, welcome to the forum of the new owner of this wonderful model.
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

ecorguas

Post by ecorguas » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:02 am

Hi guys,

Thank you William and _kaktus_ for your posts.

The X carriage seems to behave correctly now.

Anyway,

William:
I've checked the parallelism of the guiding rods and it's OK. Removing the belt, the carriage slides smothly. I've re-tightened the belt to an appropriate strength and slightly oiled the rods.
I haven't measured the driver board voltage yet. I'll look around to know how to do it, and i'll check in case of.

_kaktus_
I have gently pressed the modules and the cable connectors.
I have printed the topic kaktus' guide - Menu-tree M201, FW v1.0.03. and verified mine which has some differences I'll take into account to modify.
My X Motor Dir value is True. Probably the position of the belt bracket is reversed from yours.

Cheers,

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:15 am

Hi.

I wanted you to familiarize yourself with this subject. It will be easier for you to start your adventure with the printer.

The values I have included there are not default values and they match my settings. The printer has some modified settings and they result directly from the functionality I have launched.
:D

In case of any further problems, I will be happy to help you.
;)
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:24 pm

HIiiiiiiii.
Again.

Now I know you don't read our forum carefully. :P
In this topic you will find a solution and find out why you have a differently configured motor rotation direction for the X axis.

;)

ecorguas

Post by ecorguas » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:06 am

Hello,

_kaktus_, thank you for your comment.
Surely you are right that we don't read all the messages.
Usually, at the beginning, one looks for the informations that oneself needs, it's of interest or looking for solving an urgent problem.
I had already seen the message you say, but I didn't pay attention to it because I didn't realize that it would affect the function.

Independently of there was a problem with the printer configuration, now I see that there was an improper assembly.

I've re-checked the "Geeetech Prusa I3 M201_Building Instructions.pdf", I used to help building my printer.
On page 43, a blue belt bracket is shown in one position with no belt installed. This is the position I should have selected to be correct along with the default firmware configuration. But on page 54, a green belt bracket is assembled togheter with the belt in an upside-down position. So, I assume that I got confused and decided to do it that way. At that moment, I wasn't aware that was to affect the direction of movement. :?

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:09 pm

Hi.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

You can get to know the printer better in such situations.
Some of them I have described to make it easier for other users ...

However, as you can see, this is only my dream ... :D

I greet you cordially.

ps
I would like anyone who buys and wants to use this printer to have fewer problems than me when I start my adventure. :roll:
It's a DIY construction, and that's why something has to be changed ... :lol: