New M201 won't work

Indy_UKCM

New M201 won't work

Post by Indy_UKCM » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:28 am

Have finally finished my new M201 build

Was a pain watching the YouTube step-by-step Vids, but I hung on with it

The machine looks great, I've even managed to do some sort of cable management

The problem I am having is that nothing on the Right Side of the build actually works (apart from the PSU)

I have connected all cables to their relevant ports, which itself was a pain, as the color coding on the Vids does NOT match the color coding on the M201 system
My Right hand Extruder is connected to Extruder 1 port, and my Left Hand Extruder is connected to Extruder 0 as it holds the Hotend cabling
The right hand Z-Motor is connected to the SOLE Z motor port on the board
My left hand Z-Motor is connected, along with the X and Y motors to the main board via the 3-into-1 connector

Power On

Screen comes on, everything seems ok at this point. No garbled text or symbols on screen
Main Extruder (Extruder 0) seems to be working fine, fan is working as expected
Right Extruder (Extruder 1) isn't doing anything, no fan movement
Select Move Axis from screen menu

Move Y axis -- works ok but is sluggish, may need to alter settings
Move Z axis -- Left motor kicks into gear, no movement or sound from right motor -- power off so not to damage anything
BOTH Z axis move by hand, so motors are not jammed, right side is stiffer than left
Power on

Check X axis / carriage to ensure level - perfect (+/- 0.025mm)
Disable steppers
X and Y axis move freely and relatively smoothly
Select Move Axis again from Menu
Move X axis -- NOTHING, no sound no movement
Move Z axis -- Left motor kicks in, move right motor by hand. motor starts to move then stops. Power OFF

It appears to me that there is no power getting through to the right hand Z motor
Unsure as to why the X motor is not working, as it is not jammed and moves freely by hand

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Re: New M201 won't work

Post by _kaktus_ » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:17 pm

Hello.
:mrgreen:

This printer model has its own subforum.
Did you find it :?:
Add a few photos so that you can trace the cable connections.
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.

Indy_UKCM

Post by Indy_UKCM » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:44 am

Thanks for that.

Found the Sub Forum

Have been trying some trial and error problem solving.

Working on the Z axis to start

Dismantled the rods and couplings
Both steppers work using the "Move Z Axis" option
Connect couplers
Both Steppers still working
Connect rods
Left Stepper works, Right Stepper nothing
Looks like the issue could be with the Threaded Rod
Have tried unscrewing the rod out, trying not to take frame apart.... yet.
Rod is free moving to about 90% of length, then starts to stiffen up

Possible the Threaded Rod is not milled true
Looks like I'm going to have to undo some of frame to remove rod, and try reversing the rod

Have fixed the Extruder 1 issue … cabling had come loose

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:22 am

Hi.

Super.
You solve problems perfectly. :D
I wish you further perseverance.
If you encounter problems without a way out, ask.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.

Indy_UKCM

Post by Indy_UKCM » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:31 pm

OK
Now this IS a problem

Still trying to sort the Z Axis out

BUT Have found a serious issue with the X Axis

There is NO signal getting from the board to the stepper motor
I am unsure whether this is:
A: A cabling issue,
B: A problem with the 3-in-1 connector, or
C: More seriously a problem with the board

I connected one of the Steppers that I KNOW works to the X Axis cable, and tried the "Move X Axis" again

NOTHING

I connected the original X Axis stepper to the Z-Axis cable I had just swapped and it worked fine, albeit not connected to the Rods

Have just swapped the Y-Axis Cable to the X-Axis motor Selected "Move Y Axis" on menu, and the X-Carriage moved no problem

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:00 am

Hi.
;)

I will ask you to take photographs of the connections (controller board - motors), sockets with modules mounted, and controller board (from the bottom and top).
If you have this possibility, you can also prepare a movie, but try to make it possible to see the mentioned elements. :roll:

Try to check that the cables in the plugs are well inserted and in the right order. Compare with photos and descriptions from the forum. ;)
You can also check if the socket for the stepper motor module is well soldered. Check in the module that the supply voltages (3V and 24V) are correct. ;)

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:43 pm

Hi Indy_UKCM.

How do you deal with commissioning. Have you already solved all your problems :?:

Snoopy163

Post by Snoopy163 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:27 am

hi,

I have the same exact issue. My X Axis will not respond at all. Both Y and Z work (Z motors work but seemed jammed also). Did you find a fix? or is it actually a faulty wire or board?

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Post by _kaktus_ » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:11 pm

Hello.

I expect the cables to have the wrong order in the connector. :roll:
Browse the materials in this forum. If the acquired knowledge does not contribute to solving the problem, describe exactly what you have done.
Then we will think about the next step together.
;)

Snoopy163

Post by Snoopy163 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:50 pm

When facing my printer. I have the right z motor attached to the single z port on the motherboard. For the Y motor I have it connected to the longest wire on the 3-1 connection wire. X motor is attached to the shortest wire. The left z motor is attached to the medium wire.

I have tried using the different wires of the 3-1 connection on the x motor to test it. For example I tried using the med length wire on the 3-1 connection on the x motor. The x motor did indeed move but obviously since wire was wrong it didn't move in the correct direction as wanted. This did verify that the motor worked though.

When the X motor is attached to the shortest length wire though, I get no feed back at all. While my Y motor works fine and my Z motor works (also still trying to fix Z motor from getting stuck)