Geeetech prusa i3 A Pro (3 in 1Control box)- Z stepper motors query

Willow

Geeetech prusa i3 A Pro (3 in 1Control box)- Z stepper motors query

Post by Willow » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Can someone tell me if the stepper motors on this particular variant are wired (inside the control box) in series or parallel?

As I understand it, there are advantages to be gained if they are wired in series (more reliable as less prone to missing steps).

Would also like to know the Vref setting for the Z Stepper driver when being used - as it is - for driving two motors from the single A4988 driver. My logic suggests to me that as the A4988 Driver is supplying current to two motors, there should be a difference in the formula used to set the Vref when compared with a driver that only supplies a single motor - as is the case with the X and Y motors.

Any light you may be able to shed on the above topic would be appreciated...

Regards Willow

_kaktus_
Site Admin

Re: Geeetech prusa i3 A Pro (3 in 1Control box)- Z stepper motors query

Post by _kaktus_ » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:09 am

Hello.
:mrgreen:
Willow wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:47 pm
Can someone tell me if the stepper motors on this particular variant are wired (inside the control box) in series or parallel?
You will read this from the diagram. You have not specified a controller board model, but it doesn't matter in this case. The Z axis motors in Geeetech controllers have a parallel connection.

Willow wrote:
As I understand it, there are advantages to be gained if they are wired in series (more reliable as less prone to missing steps).
Only if the stepstick is not properly matched to the sum of the currents of the motors connected in parallel.
Willow wrote:
Would also like to know the Vref setting for the Z Stepper driver when being used - as it is - for driving two motors from the single A4988 driver. My logic suggests to me that as the A4988 Driver is supplying current to two motors, there should be a difference in the formula used to set the Vref when compared with a driver that only supplies a single motor - as is the case with the X and Y motors.
Yes, your logic is correct.
The stepstick module should be able to supply double the current to motors connected in this way.
;)

I congratulate you on your curiosity. :D
On the forum I help to use the rod, I don't give fish.
Geeetech Prusa I3 M201 Dual extruder Mixcolor 3D printer, bought 2017-12-19, already built, in the cognitive and improvement phase
Geeetech filament, ABS only
Geeetech 3D WiFi Module for 3D Printer, bought 2018-04-15, He got a new life, and still lies in a drawer.
Positively frenzied customer of Getech Technology.