New printer, filament will not come out

andrea86

New printer, filament will not come out

Post by andrea86 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:20 pm

Hello, I've just finished mounting and calibrating my recently purchased A30. I've loaded a 1.75 mm PLA filament (not the one provided in the pakage, but still, bought from Geeetech) and as soon as the extruder reached the printing temperature, the printer started loading the filament into the extruder via the brass gear that you can see on the top of the extruder. However, after few seconds, the gear started skipping with a clicking noise, as if the filament could not be pushed further down the extruder. Infact, the filament is now stuck and nothing comes outside the nozzle. Did I miss something on the installation?

MichaelK

Re: New printer, filament will not come out

Post by MichaelK » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:06 pm

Wich temperature are you using? 200°Celsius?

You can set the temperature higher. Set the nozzle temperature to 230°Celsius and show the nozzle comming filament outside.
Possible that the nozzle is closed or congested. If never comes out, set the temperature of the nozzle higher as 230°Celsius to melt the filament more.
Don't print PLA with theses temperatures please. It 's to checkup the nozzle only!

SirSunshine

Re: New printer, filament will not come out

Post by SirSunshine » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:52 pm

To cover the obvious, first make sure your z axis is off the plate. Otherwise it could be jammed flat and unable to extrude. Agree with the other post to try a hotter temp.

You can also try a manual extrusion. Heat up to 210C and pop off the bowen tube from the extruder head. Gently unscrew the connector. There is a 1 CM wide hole left. Take a piece of filament for push it into the hole in the center. Filament should ooze out. If not, then you are jammed.

If it doesn't, you can try turning off the heater and watch until the temp hits about 150C +- 20C. That means it's starting to get cold and solid. (depends on the PLA). In that state, pull up and you should be able to pull out a cone shaped blob. That's the inside of the print head where the molten plastic sits. You may have to play with different temps to get it right. Too high and you just get the filament. Too low and it will be stuck. (just heat up again fi that happens). Sometimes a 'cold pull' will clear out whatever is jamming it.