mk2a heatbed upgrade to mk3 heat bed ?

mannymiller

mk2a heatbed upgrade to mk3 heat bed ?

Post by mannymiller » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:31 am

Wow... first post.. Ok im know im not going to get a reply from geeetech. so to everyone else :D

has anyone upgraded there mk2a heatbed to the mk3 heatbed. did you upgrade the power supply ? any tips. My main reason for upgrading is i want a black heatbed. i ordered the mk3, then found a mk2b in black too.

any help would be great :)

William
Site Admin

Re: mk2a heatbed upgrade to mk3 heat bed ?

Post by William » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:29 pm

Hi,could you tell me which printer you bought?
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

mannymiller

Post by mannymiller » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:01 am

i purchased the prusa i3 pro b., with the gt2650. i have upgraded the heatbed to mk2b ( black version ) looks much better and voltage etc is almost the same. i do have a mk3 3mm aliminium bed, but the requirements are are a little higher, think i may need a better power supply.. ?

rotormansa

Post by rotormansa » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:00 am

The power supply on the Pro B is fine for the 'red' hot bed. Aside from the color red, just changing to black shouldn't change much except the appearance. You could always spray paint the red hot bed black with some exhaust paint, I personally like the red. If you are 'upgrading' because the red stock hot bed doesn't heat fast enough, that's because the power supply voltage is set too low. You can crank up the supply voltage on the stock power supply by opening cover and tweaking the adjustment pot near the terminal block. Mine was set to a little under 11.4 volts with the hot bed and extruder heaters on. I increased it to 13.1 volts (about) and things heat up much more quickly. You won't damage the GT2560, the voltage regulator on the board to bring the 12v to 5v used by all the electronics can handle I think 25V input. Moving to a 24V power supply, one option, is too iffy since it's output would be so close to the maximum operating voltage of the voltage regulator. I set my voltage by measuring the voltage at the input to the GT2560 power connector NOT at the power supply terminal block.

Good luck.

mannymiller

Post by mannymiller » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:08 pm

Thanks for your lengthy reply. My main reason for changing it is for looks. It worked just fine. At first I was going to install the mk3 Ali bed, and fix it without springs and make use of the 3d touch to level it. I have up on that option after reading hundreds of posts of people not able to get it working. But I did like the black / Ali look. The mk2b is black both sides and has the same specs at 12v .So installed that. It works fine and looks a lot better. The info on the power supply was helpful, I will look into that and may give it a little increase. At the moment the printer is sitting in bits. I've ordered smooth rods as the geeetech ones are total crap. So while it's in bits I'm working my way through it again checking everything and fixing / upgrading as needed.