Mix color rendering (filament visualization) on Repetier-Host

shdwlynx

Mix color rendering (filament visualization) on Repetier-Host

Post by shdwlynx » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:14 am

Does anyone know how to convince Repetier-Host (PC version) to properly render the filament in the proper color when using color mixing? Specifically, it does not appear that Repetier-Host pays any attention to the M163 and M164 commands that change the color mix, but maybe I'm not using the proper settings.

I have "Printer has a Mixing Extruder..." checked in Config -> Printer Settings -> Extruder.

Additionally, my A10M printer itself seems to ignore any color change after the first change occurs. For example, let's say I use the Geeetech Color Mixer application to gradually transition from 100% extruder 1 (using blue filament) to 100% extruder 0 (using white filament) four times. The printer only prints the blue to white transition and then just stays white.

Of course, Repetier-Host only displays the white of extruder 0 for it's rendering, which makes it difficult to double-check that the color mixing is setup properly (sure, I can look at the Gcode, but that's nasty especially with all the gradient blends going on.)

shdwlynx

Re: Mix color rendering (filament visualization) on Repetier-Host

Post by shdwlynx » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:56 am

To be fair, I'm using an older version of Color Mixer (I think it's the original 1.0 Beta; I downloaded it from here: https://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61760).

I'm using the older version because I have tried about 15 times to download the new 1.1 version from here and it is extremely slow and eventually fails every time:
https://www.geeetech.com/download.html?version_id=165

Additionally, I'm trying this in vase mode, but I've seen it fail on non-vase mode prints, too.

I just created a very simple tube in vase mode with a change from color A to color B and back to A, but it only goes from A to B and then it's B for the rest of the print. Also, the way it transitions is pretty strange - it looks like it fades very differently on the left side of the object vs. the right (even though it's in vase mode!)

I'm hoping this is just a 1.0 bug and 1.1 will be corrected if I can ever get it to download the whole zip file.

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:23 am

Hi,If you download the color mixing software, you can set the number of layers and the color mixing ratio.
For specific operations, you can refer to this: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=61760
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

shdwlynx

Post by shdwlynx » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:38 pm

Thanks, William. You'll note that that is the exact link I included in my original post. The little app is relatively intuitive, so the use of it is not an issue. I was finally able to download the 1.1 version and the little gradient preview is helpful. Unfortunately, it still didn't print out what I requested of it. I've included the preview gradient in Color Mixer and a photo of the printed object (again, in vase mode).
Color Mixer Tree Color.png
Color Mixer Tree Color.png (23.27 KiB) Viewed 14042 times
20191216_093058.jpg
20191216_093058.jpg (169.15 KiB) Viewed 14042 times
You might notice a strange pattern in the gradient (color mix) as well. One one side of the model, the blue goes higher than on the other, as if the color was actually fluctuating back and forth (many, many times more than I asked for) between blue and white as the printer spiraled its way up from the bottom, until it eventually gave up on the blue entirely.

What I would expect is a slow transition from blue to white to blue to white again (per what I put into the Color Mixer and what you see in the gradient screen shot).

Is this a known issue? Is there an official place to report bugs?

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:58 am

:D Hi, Can you send the gcode of your model?

shdwlynx

Post by shdwlynx » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:26 am

For sure. See attached. You see tons of mix color changes throughout the g-code, so this might be an issue with the printer's firmware, perhaps?
Christmas Tree Round Vase Mode Tiny_colored2.zip
(452.74 KiB) Downloaded 357 times

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:31 am

:D Hi,Thanks for your gcode.
What slicing software do you use?
If you use vase mode, it is not hierarchical.
color mixer is based on layers for coloring, and vase_mode is spiral printing, not layered.

shdwlynx

Post by shdwlynx » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:26 am

I get that vase mode is not layer-based and yet I still see what looks like a valid layer count on any 3D printing software that I use, like Repetier-Host. Additionally, I still see a large number of mix changes throughout the gcode and yet they seem to be ignored. I have sliced with Cura, Slic3r, PrusaSlicer 2.0, etc. The results (after adding color mix commands with Color Mixer) are always the same - it does not blend as expected.

I know it's possible to mix with vase mode because the printer's own firmware can apply a gradient mix from one color to another just fine when vase mode is used. My goal was to use color mixer with a large vase mode object to get some blends you cannot do just by using the A10M's LCD screen-based color mixing capability.

shdwlynx

Post by shdwlynx » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:44 pm

I tried printing out the little tree in normal (non-vase) mode and the color mix was applied properly. So it's definitely a vase mode issue.

Now, is there somewhere that I can submit a feature request to support vase mode prints?

I understand that the color mixer likely looks for "layer changes" as defined by z movement (although I wonder how it handles z hops when they're used). While vase mode prints don't have easily discerned layers, there are constant z movements. I am certain that it would not be difficult for the developers to support vase mode prints (and again, the firmware already does!)

Finally, the actual topic of this post is about filament visualization in Repetier-Host (or any other 3D printing software, like the Cura application). While I know this is not Geeetech's area specifically, I was hoping that someone might have suggestions on the best way to request this from the Repetier-Host or Cura team. Clearly, neither one supports color mix-based rendering of filaments in their print previews.

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:06 am

:D Hi,thanks for your feedback.
Currently, color mixer is based on layer coloring, and vase_mode is spiral printing, not layered.