Extruder won't work

PhilEth

Extruder won't work

Post by PhilEth » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:53 pm

Hi, I've recently bought a prusa i3c with dual extruder and set it up completely to have it working. sadly I've got some problems with the extruder stepper, which no matter what i try, it does not move.
What I've done so far is:
-Switching and plugging in the X-axis (the motor runs smoothly). Therefore the stepper is working
-changing at least three different A4988 and I have even bought a new set to try. They did not fixe the problem
-regulated the voltage of the drivers so that it meets the 0.8-1.2V range
-obvioulsy i've done this above the minimum temperature of 175
-i've manually tested the extruder number 2 and it moves correctly and freely

Any advice on how to have this fixed?

Best Regards

Newopint95

Re: Extruder won't work

Post by Newopint95 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:06 pm

If extruder 2 is working but 1 doesnt i would guess you have a bad board.
Email Geeetech for a replacement.

Inferno

Post by Inferno » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:29 am

PhilEth wrote:Hi, I've recently bought a prusa i3c with dual extruder and set it up completely to have it working. sadly I've got some problems with the extruder stepper, which no matter what i try, it does not move.
What I've done so far is:
-Switching and plugging in the X-axis (the motor runs smoothly). Therefore the stepper is working
-changing at least three different A4988 and I have even bought a new set to try. They did not fixe the problem
-regulated the voltage of the drivers so that it meets the 0.8-1.2V range
-obvioulsy i've done this above the minimum temperature of 175
-i've manually tested the extruder number 2 and it moves correctly and freely

Any advice on how to have this fixed?

Best Regards
I have this problem also. I have concluded that I probably have a bad board but the assembly was bought way before Christmas and I'm just now assembling things.

I have more info to add to your symptoms. I have tried to do everything suggested by the youtube videos. I've preheated the nozzle and the bed. Everything works as it should with XYZ axis.
I replaced the E (name of extruder) axis with the Y axis and verified that the extruder assembly, itself, works fine.
I also managed to get to the screen to switch filament and when I touched to do it, nothing happened.
After a minute or so of the machine idling, after touching the option to switch filament, the machine seeks home positions and then freezes and the alarm goes off.

I believe the above condition is simply the alarm saying it's OK to remove and replace the filament as the machine goes back to original position when I push the button and "switch filament" again.

I have tried resetting fail safe options. Condition persists.

Soadyheid

Post by Soadyheid » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:12 pm

The spring in the extruder head which controls the filament pinch pressure may be too strong. This can cause the pinch roller to push the filament onto the cogged wheel with too much force, acting like a brake. You can either fit an adjustable aluminium extruder mechanism (like I did - solved the clicking/stalling stepper problem, extruder now 100%)) or initially fit a weaker spring. (You can stretch it slightly to increase the force if required as a temporary measure.)

Aluminium extruder kit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extruder-Alumi ... m+extruder Decrease the force till the stepper no longer stalls/clicks. Should then work fine.

You'll need to EMail the supplier to say whether you need a right or left hand kit. Single extruder machines are invariably right handed, Dual extruder machines have both.

Play Bonny!

Soadyheid

johannesvanhooff

Post by johannesvanhooff » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:22 am

After a few month's I did get exactly the same situation, in the same tyoe of printer, the only solution was to sustitute the mainboard - just the board - and now after again a three month's I have the same failure.
I do not think that renouncing from E1 is a solution (however I see several proposals that way) and have a suscription for new mainboards turns out to be expensive - and annoing.
Strange is that it seems to be a part of the circuit that does not handle power.
Upgrading to the 32Bit board from your company is a solution?
Regards.

johannesvanhooff

Post by johannesvanhooff » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:54 am

After my previous post I did decide the purchase of a new board (2560 Rev A+) and had a few surprises:
1st I had to load the firmware for the Btouch in the original version, means not the version that swaps pin 11 and 32.
2nd.: When connected to USB, and mainswitch 'off', it seems that the board is completely powered, inclusive the LCD Display. (The previous samples did not activate the display).
3rd: It is imposible to use the USB for manual instructions, the board 'forgets' now and then positions.
I could not make the Extruder stepper work.
Next step: return the board to the seller, and I will try Arduino + Ultimaker.
I will inform about the experience
I`m not pleased.
Best regards

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:49 pm

johannesvanhooff wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:54 am
After my previous post I did decide the purchase of a new board (2560 Rev A+) and had a few surprises:
1st I had to load the firmware for the Btouch in the original version, means not the version that swaps pin 11 and 32.
2nd.: When connected to USB, and mainswitch 'off', it seems that the board is completely powered, inclusive the LCD Display. (The previous samples did not activate the display).
3rd: It is imposible to use the USB for manual instructions, the board 'forgets' now and then positions.
I could not make the Extruder stepper work.
Next step: return the board to the seller, and I will try Arduino + Ultimaker.
I will inform about the experience
I`m not pleased.
Best regards
Have you tried to check the USB serial driver install correctly?
If it shows same with this pic then you can ensure the driver install correctly.
USB串口.png
USB串口.png (2.33 KiB) Viewed 10308 times
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!