Underextrusion and skipping steps problem

Cipe14

Underextrusion and skipping steps problem

Post by Cipe14 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:39 am

Hi

i have bought i3 PRO b, about month ago, it is printing, but not good. I couldnt get right amount of filament out, when i press to extrude 100 (in 1 motion or 10 times 10) i get under extrusion. I was making adjustments in e steps, tried to fix plastic tension arm, read the whole forum for help, but no luck. Last thing i could do is to bought aluminum tension arm. Which i did. But problem is still here plus i get another problem. Now i cant get enough filament out and my stepper motor is skipping steps.

Can someone please help me to fix it.

Newopint95

Re: Underextrusion and skipping steps problem

Post by Newopint95 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:01 am

It sounds like you have a few things you need to check first.
1. Check the voltage being sent to your extruder motor. If you are missing steps the voltage may be too low.
2. Check how much filament you are actually exruding when you command 10 or 100mm. Adjust the extruder steps accordingly.

If you do a search of each topic on the web or forum you will find some very good guides. I just got my I3 ProB finally printing after a month of replacing bad parts and fixing the setpper motor settings in the firmware.

Pouly

Post by Pouly » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:16 am

What is the recommended Voltage / Stepping for the motor ?

Newopint95

Post by Newopint95 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:40 am

.8 to 1.2 V max. I have mine at .89v

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:05 am

-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

Soadyheid

Post by Soadyheid » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:19 am

Last thing i could do is to bought aluminum tension arm. Which i did. But problem is still here plus i get another problem. Now i cant get enough filament out and my stepper motor is skipping steps.
Did you adjust the spring tension? If you make it too strong it will cause the filament pushed against the feed gear to act like a brake and stall the stepper. (skip steps) Try backing it off till the motor no longer stalls.

Play Bonny!

Soadyheid.

rotormansa

Post by rotormansa » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:05 am

I struggled too for a couple weeks with my extruder... hearing the stepper click click click and not moving the filament. Check your cable to the motor. The cables are ultra cheezy and use 26 gauge wire . I dissected my cable and found only one strand of wire actually making contact with the motor on one of the leads. I have resoldered my cable and awaiting a new cable, but with my repaired cable I don't hear the click click click any longer and filament flows perfectly through the extruder.

I did up my driver voltage to 1.1V, the extruder motor doesn't get warm at this voltage either.

Just my thoughts.

Rotormansa

mafiltenborg

Post by mafiltenborg » Wed May 31, 2017 11:54 pm

rotormansa wrote:I struggled too for a couple weeks with my extruder... hearing the stepper click click click and not moving the filament.
<snip>
I did up my driver voltage to 1.1V, the extruder motor doesn't get warm at this voltage either.
Spot on!

I've had the exact same problem and so far I've simply upped the voltage to 1.1V - job done. Extruder motor doesn't even get lukewarm. For some reason the GEEETech people don't advise a higher voltage for the E-axis, but thinking back, it's logical to simply up the torque on this motor if/when it skips.

Anyways - on to calibrating the steps/mm filament fed. Thanks for the tip :)