Extruder problems

Mark

Re: Extruder problems

Post by Mark » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:21 pm

Hi, sorry about your trouble. you can contact the customer service ,they will help to solve your problem, tks

Robo Techy

Post by Robo Techy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:11 am

I have been having issues with my 3mm ectruders. After taking everything apart, which damaged more then it repaired, I have found many issues.
First,In looking at what I got, it is a hack of a 1.75mm extruder that fails as a 3mm extruder. I bought the I3 C dual printer and it does not work. The filament will stall and the mount the extruders sit on will droop / sag for the following reasons:
1. The path that the filament takes is not strait. The gear they give you is for the 1.75 extruder. When you run 3mm is bends the filament.
2. The 3mm extruder throat does not have a beveled ID at the entry point, so the filament rubs the edge and it WILL Stall once things get warm.
3. The hot-ends of the pre-assembled extruder are 180 degrees in the wrong position.
4. the throat maybe dilled out of centered and can have burrs internally.
5. The alignment of the hot ends to the nozzle maybe off and leak plastic at the threads

PS. I have confirmed the extruder drivers are not over-heating. The 3mm extruders are the issue with not have a good strait filament path. If you are reading this and have a 3mm dual I3 C, add a ID bevel to the filament inlet of the nozzle throat, replace the extruder drive gear with a MK8 3mm gear of an 10.5mm effective dia. (change the setting too in firmware), just the heater block to nozzle throat so the set screw are hidden by the throat, and rotate your heaters blocks so their mass is in the open area of the dual extruder mount. Do this ASAP before you run the extruder .

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:34 am

Sorry for your loss! I think you can ask for the customer service to help you replace the 1.75mm extruder with a 3mm one,and most of your problem will be solved.

Robo Techy

Post by Robo Techy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:55 am

Hello Mark, Thank you for a reply. I unfortunately am asleep when customer service is open. I have looked deeply into my issue and have attempted to post my findings. I also have contact my seller and requested replacement parts. Please help by letting others see my findings and have geeetech repay the seller for the parts I have requested. Also, please let you company know about the issues with the filament path for the 3mm extruders and add a 10.5mm gear to their inventory of parts.
Kind regards

Mark

Post by Mark » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:37 am

I will let them konw about this! I'd be very thankful if you can post some pics to show the situation and to verify it!

Robo Techy

Post by Robo Techy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:46 pm

I have found the issue Mark. The gear you provide for the 3mm extruder it too large and bends the filament combined that the throat does not have a beveled input is a recipe for problems. Also you are shipping the heater mounted 180 degs out of place. Why is it it take someone like me to tell you what you can test for yourself? I have attached photos and you can also read ALL MY Posts on the subject. Sorry to be rude, but weeks into this product, I can't say you guy got on it and from what I have read as your fixes, never call this out.
Thank you
Attachments
Why-Extruders-are-sagging.JPG
See what is happening because the way Geeetech ships the hot is is 180 deg wrong
Why-Extruders-are-sagging.JPG (128.83 KiB) Viewed 13387 times
typical-build-fail.JPG
This is what happens after the stall
typical-build-fail.JPG (148.85 KiB) Viewed 13387 times
throat-scrape+added-tubs.JPG
See the gouge as the larger gear and throat with no bevel does? I also added the tubes, but it did not help.
throat-scrape+added-tubs.JPG (130.51 KiB) Viewed 13387 times
throat-block-out-of-adj.JPG
Thsi happened because the throat was not deep enough into the heat block. I could see the set screw when I took off the extruder nozzle
throat-block-out-of-adj.JPG (118.97 KiB) Viewed 13387 times
sharp-edge-throat.JPG
See, no bevel.... Hummmmm Geat machining you guys.... NOT
sharp-edge-throat.JPG (115.85 KiB) Viewed 13387 times
hot-ends.JPG
This is what happen when ithere is a gap between the nozzle to throat
hot-ends.JPG (118.97 KiB) Viewed 13387 times
Extruder-Motor-Stall-Test.JPG
I tested the motor without any other parts. When I put the throat in, I could clealy see ithe gear is too larger for 3mm
Extruder-Motor-Stall-Test.JPG (127.2 KiB) Viewed 13387 times
damaged-throat.JPG
It will nevet go back together without some major effort. I heated it up to take it apart, now I have the burns on my fingers to remind me or the workmenship
damaged-throat.JPG (117.43 KiB) Viewed 13387 times
MK8-3mm-Extruder-Gear.JPG
Here is the gear that should be on the MK8 when setup at 3mm with a 10.5mm dia.
MK8-3mm-Extruder-Gear.JPG (8.64 KiB) Viewed 13387 times