I3 Pro C GT2560 was OK but is not booting now

V.Lorz

I3 Pro C GT2560 was OK but is not booting now

Post by V.Lorz » Mon May 01, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi,
I received the printer from Amazone a few weeks ago and it was working seemingly well. Yesterday I was printing a few parts with no apparent problem. I turned off the printer at night and it was working Ok but this morning it refuses to boot. The display shows two black lines (first and third) as is normal with this type of LCD before initialization. I have tried turning off and on the board a few times but nothing changes.

How can I check if the GT2560 board is dead? Any hints on how I could solve this problem?

Thanks.

William
Site Admin

Re: I3 Pro C GT2560 was OK but is not booting now

Post by William » Tue May 02, 2017 11:53 am

Hi,First, check the wirings of the LCD and the SD card, sometimes wrongly connected it will behave like this.
Then if the wirings are correct, it might be the wrong settings of firmware.Find the instruction in this post:http://www.geeetech.com/forum/viewtopic ... 23&t=17040
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

V.Lorz

Post by V.Lorz » Tue May 02, 2017 6:28 pm

Hi William,

I did that already, I double checked everything. As I said before, the printer was already working and "simply" refused to boot. I have not upgraded anything, neither the firmware nor any other part.

What I made after writing the question here was:
1) I uninstalled all connections from the board, leaving only the power supply and the USB connectors.
2) Powered on again and checked all LEDs: LED(ON, green) was on, LED(L, yellow) was off.
3) The USB device was recognized correctly by windows.
4) Tried to connect with the GT2560 using the RepetierHost with the same configuration that was working ok before.
5) One of the LEDs marked D4/D5 (can't recall which one) made blinks every time RepetierHost sent data packets.
6) ---no response was received and RepetierHost timeout.

I visually inspected the board, removed the motor drivers and tried to reconnect again. This time it went different:
1) The LED (L, yellow) bliked several times.
2) The board responded as expected reporting that it had temperature errors (expected as the thermistors were disconnected).

After this I went through a process of installing the motor drivers one-by-one (removing the power connector before installing each driver) and it all seemed Ok so I proceeded to install the board again in the printer. I was able to print two more objects with the printer before I powered it down again.

A couple of hours after that I powered on the printer again for printing a small object and, SURPRISE! IT WAS DEAD AGAIN. Same exact symthoms.

There are a few things to note here:
1) The problem, which ever it is, is intermitent. At some points in time the board boots and works.
2) During the visual inspection I found serious two quality issues:
A) The FTDI chip soldering seems to be precarious, its terminals look like rusted and the solder paste seems like small balls not correctly bounded to the pads. I will try to take a picture when I'm back home today.
B) I found many drops of solder (tin) over the board.
3) When the board doesn't boot, the enable signal for the motor drivers seems to be asserted, the motors are energized.

So at this point this is the situation: The board does not boot.

I need advice on how I could trace down the problem and solve it.

Regards.

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Wed May 03, 2017 10:03 am

Hi,which version of Arduino do you burn the bootloader with ? Arduino 1.0.1 will be more stable to do that.Besides,the situation of FTDI chip soldering is also the key factor of your case,post some pictures about it when you are back home.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

V.Lorz

Post by V.Lorz » Thu May 04, 2017 8:39 pm

William,
I attach here one photo of the FTDI chip. It was not possible to take it from the chip's side to show the rusted pads, but it is possible to see here how the tin has created balls over the PCB pad surfaces.

One again, I have not changed the firmware running on the CPU, neither the bootloader nor the application.
IMG_20170504_072250-frag.jpg
Photo of the FTDI chip.
IMG_20170504_072250-frag.jpg (66.13 KiB) Viewed 11000 times

Peeksy

Post by Peeksy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:03 am

Looks like i have the same problem. LCD shows two black lines..no boot (also no Reset working, motors get power..blocked). The board eventually booted but next time switching on was the same problem. Board GT2560 v3 (A10M) ..it connects to USB but can't upload firmware w. Arduino(time out). Any idea, anyone?