GT2560 blown up fan

JanF

GT2560 blown up fan

Post by JanF » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:49 am

Hi I am a newbie here and to 3D printing - well electronics and mechanics in general actually. Learning a LOT. However in the process I have blown something related to my fan on my GT 2560 board. I know this as it went "poof" and there was a burning smell when I tried to connect a new one after I killed the old one by accidentally breaking the blades when removing it from the extruder (MK8). The new fan I was trying to connect was a 12v larger one so maybe that's why it happened? Anyways I have a couple of new ones on order but I don't know what to do about the fan connection to the board (board is working fine otherwise and I have a fan connected to another power source temporarily).

I know there are 3 fan connections on the board so could I alter my config h to use one of them instead? If so, what code would I need to alter? Simple instructions please :-) and while on the subject, if I want to add another fan for the heatbed, what code do I need to turn on for that? Also if I want to replace the part on the board, what would I need?

Thank you so much, any help is appreciated.

kindest regards from Australia
Jan

William
Site Admin

Re: GT2560 blown up fan

Post by William » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:32 pm

JanF wrote:Hi I am a newbie here and to 3D printing - well electronics and mechanics in general actually. Learning a LOT. However in the process I have blown something related to my fan on my GT 2560 board. I know this as it went "poof" and there was a burning smell when I tried to connect a new one after I killed the old one by accidentally breaking the blades when removing it from the extruder (MK8). The new fan I was trying to connect was a 12v larger one so maybe that's why it happened? Anyways I have a couple of new ones on order but I don't know what to do about the fan connection to the board (board is working fine otherwise and I have a fan connected to another power source temporarily).

I know there are 3 fan connections on the board so could I alter my config h to use one of them instead? If so, what code would I need to alter? Simple instructions please :-) and while on the subject, if I want to add another fan for the heatbed, what code do I need to turn on for that? Also if I want to replace the part on the board, what would I need?

Thank you so much, any help is appreciated.

kindest regards from Australia
Jan
1. You just need to use one of three connections. No code modifyng.
2.If you want to add another fan for the bed,you can plug it in the PWM_fan socket near the three fan connections and the fan is controllable.You can find the way to control it in the Gcode page i posted to you before.
3.The last question,i'm afraid i can't entirely understand what you exactly mean...
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

JanF

Re: GT2560 blown up fan

Post by JanF » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:16 pm

Hi again William :D OK thanks for that. Just didn't want to plug randomly and get more "poofs" from the board. What I meant by last question was that if I had blown up something on the board, could it be replaced. However I got my new fan today and tested out your advice and all is good. All fan connections working!

Thanks again!
Jan