Impressora Reprap Prusa i3 A Pro 3D Power supply stopped

iamdbain

Impressora Reprap Prusa i3 A Pro 3D Power supply stopped

Post by iamdbain » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:35 am

I bought an Impressora Reprap Prusa i3 A Pro 3D and assembled it an had no problems except I was using an old SD card and it would not recognize it. You suggested I try a different SD card so I bought a new one and it worked first time. I printed a 20mm calibration cube with no problem. Two hours later I started my second print and was halfway through a filament holder (a 33 minute print) and the power supplied just died. The screen went blank, fan went off, and printer came to a complete halt. The power indicator light on the rear of the power supply shows it is getting power but the whole power and control unit is dead. I have not opened it to check for any burned out component but I was sitting right beside it and heard nothing, it just quit. Any ideas as to what I should do next.

William
Site Admin

Re: Impressora Reprap Prusa i3 A Pro 3D Power supply stoppe

Post by William » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:46 am

iamdbain wrote:I bought an Impressora Reprap Prusa i3 A Pro 3D and assembled it an had no problems except I was using an old SD card and it would not recognize it. You suggested I try a different SD card so I bought a new one and it worked first time. I printed a 20mm calibration cube with no problem. Two hours later I started my second print and was halfway through a filament holder (a 33 minute print) and the power supplied just died. The screen went blank, fan went off, and printer came to a complete halt. The power indicator light on the rear of the power supply shows it is getting power but the whole power and control unit is dead. I have not opened it to check for any burned out component but I was sitting right beside it and heard nothing, it just quit. Any ideas as to what I should do next.
Hi,
You can measure the DC output(between +V and COM) of the PSU with a multimeter to see if it is about 12V,maybe the PSU has broken.
QQ截图20160825084336.jpg
QQ截图20160825084336.jpg (63.12 KiB) Viewed 11455 times
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

iamdbain

Post by iamdbain » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:18 am

Mine is the new model with the power supply and control board/lcd all built into an aluminum enclosure. I did not want to open it until told to by someone from Geeetech because I want them to know I did nothing to cause an internal problem. It just happened in the middle of a print. And I have not opened it to see if something is blown or whatever. It made no sound like a cap blowing or anything, it just died after about 27 minutes of total running time. The printer was working perfectly and my print was 50% done when it just died.

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:38 am

iamdbain wrote:Mine is the new model with the power supply and control board/lcd all built into an aluminum enclosure. I did not want to open it until told to by someone from Geeetech because I want them to know I did nothing to cause an internal problem. It just happened in the middle of a print. And I have not opened it to see if something is blown or whatever. It made no sound like a cap blowing or anything, it just died after about 27 minutes of total running time. The printer was working perfectly and my print was 50% done when it just died.
OK,I think you can shoot a video before you open it to prove it has a problem itself earlier,then you can refer to my way to check the DC output.How do you think?

iamdbain

Post by iamdbain » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:13 pm

Ok, after I sent the video last night, I waited until this morning to open the power supply case. As you suspected, there is zero volts coming from the power supply. I did a simple continuity check on the fuse and it is not blown and I went all over the top of the board with a magnifying lens but could see nothing physical indicating a problem. It must be at the component level, something must have gone bad that is not visible. I did find a small round blob of solder (like a BB pellet) rolling around on the board top but it was in an area where it could not touch any two leads to short anything out. IF it had been beside the DIP module it would short out those pins easily, but like I said it was not there, it was in the area beside the inductor coil at the very front end of the power supply but who knows where it has been because I moved the supply to take it apart. What next?

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:18 am

Where have you sent the video to?There's no link on your post...

You can send the test video to the seller to ask for a replacement if you verified the PSU has a problem indeed.

iamdbain

Post by iamdbain » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:30 am

I attached it to my reply using the upload attachment button at the bottom of this form I am replying on now. I tried first sending an MP4 file but it said it would not accept an MP4 file so I converted it to an MP3/WAV file and it seemed to have accepted that format, at least I got no error message and my reply showed up on the forum, so I don't know what happened to the video. I will send a copy to the seller as I am communication with their ALi Express contact. Thanks.

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:45 am

OK,i think you can upload the video to Youtube or some other sites then attach the link,i guess i can watch it after that.

iamdbain

Post by iamdbain » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:15 am

Duh, I feel dumb because I didn't think of that, I rarely use cameras and had to scramble around to find out how to reformat a video. I could have done this first if I was familiar with video posting on YouTube. I spend all my spare time with electronic projects, computer programming, and learning about CAD and 3D. Anyway the video is now live at :

https://youtu.be/Bmr-WSjQcu8

Sorry for my ignorance of videos, they are just not part of my hobby interests. Thanks

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:38 am

Hi,
Watched your video carefully.And i'm thinking could you attach the video about this description?
As you suspected, there is zero volts coming from the power supply. I did a simple continuity check on the fuse and it is not blown and I went all over the top of the board with a magnifying lens but could see nothing physical indicating a problem. It must be at the component level, something must have gone bad that is not visible. I did find a small round blob of solder (like a BB pellet) rolling around on the board top but it was in an area where it could not touch any two leads to short anything out.
A test video about the "DC output" would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.