GT2560 dropping connection while printing

agilliam

GT2560 dropping connection while printing

Post by agilliam » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:27 am

Hi all, Im rather new at the 3d printing but have been in computer engineering and network engineering for a while. This one has me stumped. I have replacement GT2560 board that was sent to me as the first one burned up to do a bad PSU *melted the power connector, lifted copper traces, and melted the nano2 fuse holder.

The problem I have had is this keeps dropping USB connection. It started doing it on the OLD controller too, but is now doing it on this NEW controller. So with that in consideration, I thought crap must be my computer. So I did a factory reset, wiped everything off the system. Its virgin state again and only has Cura, Repatier, Slic3r, and Sketchup. Nothing else. I don't have and haven't had any issues with any other USB, so its not my USB ports or drivers. To further validate that, I checked on another computer, same thing. It drops. I have used 2 different 12v PSU with same results, now have a 24V PSU and it still continues to drop.
This has also happened since day 1. Going on 2 months. I have had a lot of trouble with this unit. Bad psu caused some damage
I have 2 working hot beds, both are MK3's, One wired 12v for the 12v PSU of course and the other is wired 24v for the 24v PSU. I also have both 12V heaters and 24V heaters both are 40 watts.

Things I have done;
Checked printer settings in Repatier.
Checked firmware files for Marlin (Made some changes but went back to virgin file and still happens)
Changed USB cable. (except this one works for everything else (programing Arduino, and programing the gt2560.)
The 24v PSU puts out a nice clean 24.32v while loaded with heating extruder and hotbed. The #1 12vPSU puts out 12.32v no load, with load drops to 10.35v. #2 12v PSU puts out clean 12.43v no load, and under load puts out around 10.4v.

Things I haven't yet tried but will now;
Change serial port connection baud rate.
Change USB cable again (I know sometimes the stupid connectors break from wires but it would be more constant that intermittent)
Throw in the ramps 1.4 board.
With 12V PSU I have turned up power with pot and down
With 24v PSU I have NOT turned it up or down. I feel that its perfect.

Please help me figure this beast out!

Mark

Re: GT2560 dropping connection while printing

Post by Mark » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:02 pm

Have you tried to print it by SD card, not USB ?

agilliam

Post by agilliam » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:47 pm

Yes it works fine. Well doesn't print correctly but doesn't drop. So really doesn't solve the usb issue. But just an update I changed to yet another ramps and it still did it.. so I said heck with it. Removed Repatier and reinstalled. Mystically nonissues. I guess Repatier got messed up on the install. Weird too because it's a Virgin install did a factory reset and 8gb ram ssd hdd. But now it's fine. I'm still having issues with it printing correctlly. So I guess I need to start another thread with new issues.

agilliam

Post by agilliam » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:31 pm

Update. Still disconnecting. Had stepper motor start smoking. Weird too wasn't even printing. Was slicing a file to test. I'm at my end with this thing. I'm throwing it in the trash. I've had nothing but problems :( I'm out quite a bit of money too. Thus wasn't the first issue either. Been going on 2 months now. :/