Mini Rostock Delta w/ Sanguinololu

dacoder

Mini Rostock Delta w/ Sanguinololu

Post by dacoder » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:07 pm

I ordered a Mini Rostock Delta and have been very happy with the package. After getting the build instructions from support, I finished my build and had everything up and running. You might want to include some more information on the optional heated bed. The firmware that was pre-configured on the board appears to be a Marlin variant for the Mendel catesian layout instead of a delta printer. The Z axis is a much higher step count than X/Y. That was really not that big of a deal since this is my 5th reprap I have purchased from various places. I felt very comfortable updating the firmware.

When I attempted to connect the board, the USB RS UART FTDI chip is reporting a VID of 0403 (FTDI PCI #) and a PID of 0000. I am very familiar with the VID_0403/PID_6000 and PID_6001. I thought it might be the machine I was putting it on, but I ran the raw USB feed into a USB analyzer and was able to confirm that the FTDI UART chip installed on the board is in fact reporting an invalid PID. I am not sure if this is a solder point that is grounded or if there is a flaw in the chip itself. I have seen issues where the FTDI chip having an grounded USB point has caused a similar issue. I inspected the board and all traces and components appear to be in manufacturing condition. I noticed a few pieces of micro solder adhered to the PCB leftover, but everything appears to be fine. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I have the printer on one my spare RUMBA boards right now, but would like to get the Sanguinololu board working.

Also, is there a firmware image for the delta printer, or the Configuration.h file for Marlin available? I could go through and configure it, but I would imagine the measurements have already been done and there are values I could just plug in.

heliocoelhojr

Re: Mini Rostock Delta w/ Sanguinololu

Post by heliocoelhojr » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:54 pm

Similar issue here: I have two brand new geetech melzi ardentissimo with the ftdi chip. Linux reports the PID of 0000. There was a nasty bloob of weld shorting
some contacts of the ftdi chip. So I think that both boards are toast now...
Attachments
IMAG0976_small.jpg
IMAG0976_small.jpg (108.73 KiB) Viewed 13251 times

Star

Post by Star » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:23 pm

Hi, dacoder!
The VID_0403 and PID_6001 are the normal circumstances for the Sanguinololu. If either of the value is abnormal, it may mean that the driver is not installed correctly. You can get the right drivers in the file directory of your Arduino IDE (arduino-1.0.1\drivers\FTDI USB Drivers).I hope my suggestion is helpful for you!

dacoder

Post by dacoder » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:54 am

I think there appears to be some sort of translation issue going on here. I am not having a "driver" issue. Thanks for giving it a swing, but this is beyond a driver issue. I have the low level diagnostic equipment to see the USB communication stream. I have written my own USB drivers both raw native and sitting on the native windows HAL before. I have diagnosed this problem past the OS enumeration to driver assignment.

I am aware that an FTDI board should report a VID of 0403 and a PID of 6000 or 6001 depending on the release version. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 14 different boards that use FTDI chips. This is not a driver issue. If I do a raw interrogation of the data coming from the USB interface . The raw data coming from the board itself, no computer / driver involved, is reporting a PID of 0000.

This is a precis of what I see happening at the USB enumeration requests. This is a diagnostic board that allows for interdiction of USB enumeration raw.

1) I watch it report "powered" state to the channel.
2) I can see the hub identifier send the "connect", and receive the "connected" identifier.
3) I see the Get Port Status request go to the board.
4) I see the cycle and response chirp from the board
5) I see the "Get Descriptor" request go to the board, and then I see the response for the communication.
6) I see the set address command and the ack return.
7) I see the normal enumeration data requests being sent. --> I see it come back with what appears to be ok data
Until the device interface descriptor is requested. That request, the board responds with a 0000 identifier when enumerating the interfaces. This is coming from the board itself.

Star

Post by Star » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi, dacoder!
I suggest you downloading my arduino IDE:http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/images/0/0 ... -1.0.1.zip. Unzip it,re-plug the USB cable,and then check if the com port of the Sanguinololu can be recognized or not.

infs

Post by infs » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:27 pm

According to FTDI, PID_0000 is a fake chip. Drivers wont work for fake chips (atleast the new drivers). You should return your devices to the seller.

Star

Post by Star » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:54 am

Hi, dacoder and infs!
All of Geeetech products have undergone first rigorous testing and second sampling inspection by professional inspectors.
It is almost impossible for us to ship you a defect driver. But it may be caused during transportation.As you know international transportation is hard to control, the package may not be treated friendly or handled improperly on its way to you. And the static electricity may cause short circuit,which is deadly for the chip.
At first,i want to know when you connect the Sanguinololu with your computer.Does it found the COM port, or is there also with a yellow exclamation mark or no response?