Iduino nano 3.0 with Fake FTDI USB to UART

infs

Iduino nano 3.0 with Fake FTDI USB to UART

Post by infs » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:03 pm

Hey.

Seller urged me to contact you here.
I bought iduino nano3.0 and it does not connect with any pc. Drivers are unable to load with this device and if I use another device with FTDI 232RL chip and load the drivers the device wont work. While talking this over with seller I contacted FTDI and they told me the chip is FAKE. So it is not a supprise that the drivers wont work. Seller has not offered any refund or return policy yet (3weks or so) and in the last email forwarded me here to talk with the tech support. So here I am.

What do you suppose me to do with the fake chip? Will you send me a new device or a working chip? Or do you have some drivers for the fake chips that wont compromise my computers ability to work with other devices?

PID_0000 -> FAKE
also
http://zeptobars.ru/en/read/FTDI-FT232R ... e-supereal.

Thanks.

-infs

Star

Re: Iduino nano 3.0 with Fake FTDI USB to UART

Post by Star » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:59 am

Hi, dacoder!
I suggest you downloading my arduino IDE:http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/images/0/0 ... -1.0.1.zip. Unzip it,then you can get the right drivers in the file directory of the IDE (arduino-1.0.1\drivers\FTDI USB Drivers).

infs

Post by infs » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:10 am

Hey Star

Is this the official response from Geeetech to the issue of fake chips?

-infs (not dacoder)

Star

Post by Star » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:15 pm

Hi, dacoder!
Yes, I am the engineer of Geeetech. There are two reasons leading to your problem.
1. The driver is not installed correctly.
2. The other is the chip is broken.
You can try the suggestion I mentioned in the e-mail I sent to your at first. If it doesn’t work out, it might be the problem of the chip. As you know international transportation is hard to control, the package may not be treated friendly or handled improperly on its way to you. And the static electricity may cause short circuit,which is deadly for the chip.Then i suggest you to contact the seller for further solutions.

infs

Post by infs » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:20 pm

Hi Roger.

It seems to me that you are not being completely honest.
Firstly I have other similar devices with the real FTDI chip working perfectly fine so no problem in the drivers really or in the way they are installed. Secondly if the chip is broken then the device qualifies for refund.

I haven't got any emails from you and your first reply with a link to a 90MB zip file in a "hidden" addres is not really trustworthy. And why would I want to downgrade my arduino IDE to 1.0.1. ? Does that large zip file hold the old FTDI driverss that doesn't block fake chips?

Is geeetech intentionally using fake chips or have you received some fake ones from your supplier? Or if indeed the chip is broken Why am I dealing with this crap of "Maybe your drivers are not installed correctly" for this many weeks? First from the seller and now from you.

As an engineer you should have something smarter to say when I tell you that FTDI drivers wont install because the chips PID_0000 is incorrect and FTDI told me that it is because the chip is fake. Now if you agree that the chip is fake please tell me that so I can tell that to seller and ask for refund. Or if the chip is broken I shall ask for refund. Even if the fake chip could be used with older drivers that don't yet block the fake ones I want to return the product because I dont think using fake chips is ok.

If you still think it is only a driver based problem then tell me (an electrical engineering student) that how come other arduinos with real FTDI 232RL chip work perfectly on my computers but this chip on my iduino nano 3.0 is unable to work on any?

Thank you for your time.

-infs

Star

Post by Star » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:11 pm

Hi infs!

I am very sorry! But I want to point it out that I did not receive any information about "other Arduino with real FTDI 232RL chip work perfectly on my computers" in your previous posts. So i guess your drivers are not installed correctly and I have sent my first reply to you. I explained your problem clearly in my second post and suggest you contacting the seller for further solutions if the chip is broken.
Last,I must to claim that the chip is not fake. All of GEEETECH'S chips are authentic. It may be static damaged.

Best wishes to you!
-Star

infs

Post by infs » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:08 pm

Hello again Star.

FTDI introduced a system to block fake chips in newer drivers. The fact thet you suggested me to instal old drivers (DriverVer=03/18/2011,2.08.14 in the link you provided) tells me that you atleast know how to get the fake chips working =) I do suggest you to update your testing rig to newer drivers if you really want to be sure that your chips are authentic.

I still haven't decided on returning the product because I'will never get the mail costs back and I most propably can use the NANO if I just load the software with another arduino or by downgrading my drivers.

Regards
-infs

waleeedijaz

Post by waleeedijaz » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:22 pm

What do you suppose me to do with the fake chip? Will you send me a new device or a working chip? Or do you have some drivers for the fake chips that wont compromise my computers ability to work with other devices?