Yes, the A10T down tubes have discs

Sodium100mg

Yes, the A10T down tubes have discs

Post by Sodium100mg » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:17 pm

The hot end of the A10T had down tubes between the heat sync at the top of the hot end and the 3 into 1 manifold at the bottom end of the hot end. Inside the down tubes are small 4.5mmx2mm discs. These discs are one way valves to the filament, where the discs are at the melt temperature of the filament, so extruded filament melt on the disc and drain though the series of holes around the perimeter, but at retraction the disc prevent retraction below them (one way valve). For faster color swapping, it is said, that removing the discs allow proper retraction.

The discs splits the single filament flow into multiple streams, which creates a laminar flow of the filament. For the purpose of mixing color, a laminar flow rather than a single flow is an awesome idea!

Removing the discs require a full disassembly of the hot end. I'd suggest taking high resolution before photos before starting and as disassembling. The hot end has a correct orientation to the printer, which is easy to re-assemble 1/3rd off if not looking.

I'm not saying removing the discs is a good idea or a bad idea. For "mixing colors" the discs are probably a good thing, while for "sharp color switching" the discs are a bad idea.

I thank Geeetech for bringing the multi colored head to the hobby market. The question now is if Geeetech wants to lead, follow or get out of the way. The hot end needs a complete redesign.

Sodium100mg

Re: Yes, the A10T down tubes have discs

Post by Sodium100mg » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:59 am

Initial impressions is everything is running HOT!. I have had a few filament jams on color changes, where the filament appears to have heated up the down tube and when extruded caused the filament to balloon, rather than extrude. The 1.75mm filament ballooned to over 2mm.

when i get it tuned in, i'll post what works