Prusa i3-B Problem Printing ABS

ValiMDX

Prusa i3-B Problem Printing ABS

Post by ValiMDX » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:28 am

Hi all.

I have got myself about 2 months ago a Acrylic prusa i3-b which comes with the GT board, 0.3mm mk8 Extruder and LCD2004 Display.
I've managed to build it ( i was left with a ton of spare washers :) ) and i've managed to configure, calibrate (Hight temp calibration) and get pretty good quality out of my 1.75mm PLA.

I've got from amazon 2 spools from Ice Filaments, 1 Green wood PLA 1.75 mm, and 1 Wonderous White ABS 1.75mm.

I;ve tried printing with the ABS and it completely failed, got my extruder stuck and had to change the nozzle. Got a huge set of nozzles now.
ABS temperature is listed at 220-260 .
My Slicer settings are : First layer temp: 250. Other Layers: 240 - Bed temp: 110, Other Layers:90
I've tried all extrusion multipliers from 0.6 to 2.

My speeds are set around 40-50-60 and first layer set to 30%.

When i try to Print the ABS it doesn't want to get extruded, and if i push it manually i have to put a lot of pressure and it gets out very thin and curls immediately. This is at around 250C. If i go lower it doesn't want to come out.
I will probably try with other nozzle sizes, as currently is the 0.3mm one.

I need help to solve this issue and start printing with ABS.

Thanks

William
Site Admin

Re: Prusa i3-B Problem Printing ABS

Post by William » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:34 pm

Try a larger size nozzle and see how it goes.
-Keep your mind and try to test it. :)
-Everything will be fun!-Support all Getech printer.
-You can ask me the questions and I will kindly reply.
-Respect others is the best way you can get help!

ValiMDX

Post by ValiMDX » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:52 am

Hello.
I have written before a post and it seems it' wasn't approved.
please help me with this issue because printing with ABS was one of the main reasons i have bought this 3d printer.

I have changed the nozzle to a 0.5mm and it is still not working. it's curling heavily and seems not to feed right.
Attached is a video of the printer working with the hobbed wheel visible.

https://www.dropbox.com/playlist/Public ... d=30028455

. I have tried all temperature range from 200ºC - to 250ºC and nothing seems to extrude. Sometimes moves a bit more, sometimes it doesnt. Pushing it by hand its clearly easier closer to 250ºC

Thanks,

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:52 am

Hi,
I get this when i click your link,you can post a Youtube link i guess:
QQ截图20161105094630.jpg
QQ截图20161105094630.jpg (30.84 KiB) Viewed 18425 times
And how about setting the extruder temp to 260 degree and extruding the filament with your hand?

I saw you mentioned the print quality is good when you're using PLA,so maybe we can say the hardware doesn't have a problem?

ValiMDX

Post by ValiMDX » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:08 pm

Hi,

Sorry here is the correct Link, https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/300 ... 2%20PM.mov

Pushing the filament by hand at 260 still requires a lot of force to push it down. If i compare it with when pushing at ±240C i htink it might be easier at around 240C.
Compared with the PLA it's very hard to push down.

I have printed successfully with PLA. it wasn't the best quality i've seen others printing, but i was satisified.
I even used some wood filament, but the printing quality was not that good and it clogged at the middle.

All the best,
Last edited by ValiMDX on Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

William
Site Admin

Post by William » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:21 pm

The video is not available still...
Looks like it is not the feeder problem.
1.You can try increasing the driver voltage on the A4988 of extruder.
2.Check if the extruder thermistor has a good connection to the heating block,maybe the temp has a problem?It didn't reach the preset temp actually?

ValiMDX

Post by ValiMDX » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:45 pm

Hey.

Sorry i have linked with the wrong video.
Here is the Extruder Video

I don't have a multimeter nor a thermometer .I will try to find a way to check for these things.

For me what it looks it's like the ABS is very hard to extrude efficiently. I've manged to get it to extrude "easier" at around 248ºC but still it's coming out very slowly and modifying the extruder speed is not making it extrude more.

Thanks,

Bugcatcher3D

Post by Bugcatcher3D » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:50 pm

I think you may be using too high a temp for the heat bed. I am actually reducing the temp and getting much better results at about 70deg.

There is a good print model called the 3D Benchy which is a boat that has alot of features you can use to fine tune your print quality. Should be able to find online easy enough including thingyverse.

Make sure you have the filament size correctly set and don't go much over 1 for flow rate. I also use some glue stick on blue painters tape for bed adhesion and usually don't have any problems with the printing lifting off if done right.

If you are having a really hard time pushing the ABS through by hand then maybe worth trying some different ABS as well.

ValiMDX

Post by ValiMDX » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:06 pm

Hmm i haven't tested yet the bed adhesion as i'm still to the "not extruding right" phase. I will try different options, also i have white painters tape as i couldn't find the blue one in my area.
I've tested the 3D Benchy boat with wood filament, but the print quality was pretty bad, but this was mainly a problem of calibration - i didn't modify too much the temp values from what i was printing with the bright green PLA.

The filament size i have it set at what's written on the label. 1.75mm. i don't have access to a caliper to see exactly whats' the real dimension of the filament.
What do you mean when you say 1. for flow rate you mean the multiply in Slicer?

I will probably try sourcing a different ABS filament as i'm also reaching that conclusion that the filament might very low quality. despite what's written on the box. :)

Bugcatcher3D

Post by Bugcatcher3D » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:24 pm

Flow rate being %100 or multiplier of 1. Depends on software. I think I read you were using up to 2 somewhere which is way too much.

Looked the video, looked like either it was bad ABS or temp wasn't high enough but your extruder was moving way too much for how much was coming out. Sometimes you can also strip or grind the filament if your trying to force too much and the hot end is not able to keep up.